Images aren't showing and uploads via nextcloud client won't work

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer

example

here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 23.0.3

Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Asustor/Linux 5.13

Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.0

PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.3.12

I have an Asustor AS6104T, on which Nextcloud is installed. Some time ago it got a major upgrade, before it was at version 20 or so. Since then, I can’t use nextcloud properly.

I can log in to nextcloud, I see a number of information, but Notes doesn’t show any entries, instead only

Error from nextcloud server: exception

and images are only shown as the grey placeholders, and when I try to open them, I get the error message

error when loading image.jpg

When hovering over the placeholders (those are no thumbnails), I get the proper filename shown as tooltip.

The (official) nextcloud client reports it can’t upload files, either desktop or mobile.

I have one entry in the contacts, this may be ok. There, all data is visible.

I can see files, but can’t open them (like in photos).

I find the following entries in the nextcloud.log:

{"reqId":"xxxxxxxx","level":2,"time":"2022-07-07T15:15:37+00:00","remoteAddr":"x.x.x.x","user":"--","app":"OC\\Log\\Rotate","method":"GET","url":"/path_to_nextcloud/cron.php","message":"Log file

\"/path_to_nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log\" was over 104857600 bytes, moved to \"/path_to_nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log.1\"","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:102.0) Gecko/201001

01 Firefox/102.0","version":"23.0.3.2"}

{"reqId":"xxxxxxxx","level":3,"time":"2022-07-07T15:18:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"x.x.x.x","user":"username","app":"PHP","method":"PUT","url":"/path_to_nextcloud/dav/files/username//

SofortUpload/Pictures/filename.jpg","message":"disk_free_space(): No such file or directory at /path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#381","userAgent":"Mozilla/

5.0 (Android) Nextcloud-android/3.20.3","version":"23.0.3.2","exception":{"Exception":"Error","Message":"disk_free_space(): No such file or directory at /path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#381","Code":0,"Trace":[{"function":"onError","class":"OC\\Log\\ErrorHandler","type":"::","args":[2,"disk_free_space(): No such file or directory","/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php",381,{"path":"files/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg","sourcePath":"/path_to_nextcloud/data/username/files/SofortUpload/Pictures"}]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php","line":381,"function":"disk_free_space","args":["/path_to_nextcloud/data/username/files/SofortUpload/Pictures"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php","line":334,"function":"free_space","class":"OC\\Files\\Storage\\Local","type":"->","args":["files/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},

{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php","line":334,"function":"free_space","class":"OC\\Files\\Storage\\Wrapper\\Wrapper","type":"->","args":["files/SofortUpload/P

ictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php","line":1171,"function":"free_space","class":"OC\\Files\\Storage\\Wrapper\\Wrapper","type":"->","args":["files/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php","line":1117,"function":"basicOperation","class":"OC\\Files\\View","t

ype":"->","args":["free_space","/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/QuotaPlugin.php","line":209,"function":"free_space","class":"OC\\Files\\View","type":"->","args":["SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/QuotaPlugin.php","line":170,"function":"getFreeSpace","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\QuotaPlugin","type":"->","args":["/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/QuotaPlugin.php","line":97,"function":"checkQuota","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\QuotaPlugin","type":"->","args":["/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg"]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloudp/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"beforeCreateFile","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\QuotaPlugin","type":"->","args":["files/username/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg",null,{"__class__":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\Directory"},false]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line

":1094,"function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":["beforeCreateFile",["files/username/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg",null,{"__class__":"OCA\\DAV\\Connect

or\\Sabre\\Directory"},false]]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php","line":504,"function":"createFile","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":["files/username/SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg",null,null]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"httpPut","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\CorePlugin","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"},{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"}]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":472,"

function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":["method:PUT",[{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"},{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"}]]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":253,"function":"invokeMethod","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"},{"__class__":"Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"}]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/libDAV/Server.php","line":321,"function":"start","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php","line":339,"function":"exec","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php","line":35,"function":"exec","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Server","type"

:"->","args":[]},{"file":"/path_to_nextcloud/remote.php","line":166,"args":["/path_to_nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"/path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Log/ErrorHandler.php","Line":92,"CustomMessage":"--"}}

I know that there is a problem with the php mem_cache, I can’t adjust that in the NAS, the maximum is 64 MB. I tried changing it manually in php.conf, but that failed. The NAS also restricts me to the PHP version 7.3 for the time being, I don’t know when that will be updated, it’s not in my hands.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Yes

Steps to replicate it:

I’ve explained it above, I hope that’s enough. I should do better logging, I know. From nextcloud’s side I found only the nextcloud.log file in nextcloud/data, no other log files in other places. Some output you find above.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[PHP] Error: disk_free_space(): No such file or directory at /path_to_nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#381

PUT /path_to_nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/username//SofortUpload/Pictures/image.jpg

from x.x.x.x by username at 2022-07-08T15:24:49+00:00

Wherever it says “username”, there is originally a name of a user of my trust.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____: I didn’t find that on my NAS.