I want to open nextcloud from a browser, open PDF and edit PDF

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): centOS 7.9
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.46
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
I want to open nextcloud from a browser and edit a PDF, but I can’t edit it.
I want to add comments and annotations to the PDF.
Is there a way I can do it?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):Y

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I want to edit it like an image.
I’m really in trouble

PDF files are not meant to be edited. As far as i know there is no app for Nextcloud yet which is able to do that. You can post your feature request in the App ideas category or in the freelancers category if you are willing to pay someone to develop this feature, but since editing PDF files is a pretty hard thing, i think it is unlikely that you will get a quick response.

I recommend you to download the file, edit it locally with a software like LibreOffice Draw or some Adobe stuff and reupload it again.

Opening a PDF file on the other hand is already possible by clicking it. You will only be able to view it this way.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

It’s difficult at the moment.
I will consider how to deal with what you have taught me.

GitHub - strukturag/pdfdraw: Nextcloud app to annotate PDF documents

1 Like

Unfortunately the pdfdraw app is no real pdf editing software but definitely a good start

1 Like

Have you tried it before?

I’m wanting to install PDF Draw on Nextcloud 21. Anyone tried it yet?

yes, I have. it is still quite basic (but luckily collaboratively) annotation with a pen tool, a shape tool (and some more I don’t remember) and it overlays those on top of the pdf. Unfortunately you are not able to safe the edited pdf file back to NC but only download the edited pdf file. Afterwards you can upload the edited file to NC. Also, it doesn’t support groupfolders and external storages, currently.

I think you didn’t link the correct app…

What about entering text?

oh I see. :joy:

Unfortunately I don’t remember if that was an option but it could be possible that text was an option, too…
I think those are all avaliable modes:

1 Like

BTW: if you need some examples how to install it, here is a PR for the NcVM how it gets installed there: add pdfdraw by szaimen · Pull Request #1870 · nextcloud/vm · GitHub

For anyone that wants to try the pdfdraw app, there is now a fork that makes it much easier to install. Just follow the instructions here: Nextcloud-Other / Nextcloud Annotate · GitLab

Also, there is a PR in the NcVM that covers this fork but it will most likely not get merged. See Add pdfannotate by szaimen · Pull Request #1923 · nextcloud/vm · GitHub

1 Like