I want the PDF: How T-Systems migrated millions of MagentaCLOUD users to Nextcloud

Hi,

i want to read the PDF “How T-Systems migrated millions of MagentaCLOUD users to Nextcloud” from Nextcloud blog.

Can anyone tell me why you need a business email address for this? Is this due to Nextcloud GmbH or T-Systems?

Do Nextcloud GmbH or T-Systems think they want to hide something behind a “paywall”? Or do they want to collect data? Or do they simply want to know how many people are interested in it at all?

Nextcloud is AGPL-software and yes i know Nextcloud Enterprise and Fair use policy. But I am still interested in how T-Systems managed it with Nextcloud. I cannot and will not provide a business e-mail address.

It worked with my normal mail address (own domain). Some businesses also use gmail or other provider mail addresses, so how should they know?

2 Likes

I have no insider knowledge, but it’s just a whitepaper lead magnet. Given the target customers of GmbH are enterprises, it makes sense to collect contact info to stick in a CRM and follow-up with as potentially interested future customers-to-be (e.g. via a drip campaign or even one-on-one).

It’s not specific to this whitepaper. It’s the case for most of the others I’ve seen published via nc.com.

For the record, “view source” might have the PDF link. Hypothetically speaking. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh. That was probably far too easy then. Here is the link in the source code, slightly distorted.

"value":"https:\/\/nextcloud.com\/c\/uploads\/2024\/07\/***.pdf"
1 Like

On their podcast, in one episode they invited someone from T-Systems. This is perhaps interesting if you want to see how such a cooperation works.

Actually, I was only interested in the case study. Now that I’ve read it, I didn’t find it all that exciting. At least I didn’t find anything that actually justified registering by e-mail. But this is perhaps similar to the use of the Nextcloud demo servers, where registration by email was introduced at some point.

A bit like all of these case studies.
Not sure at which point it helps having these mail addresses vs. the people scared away to avoid giving their mail address.

1 Like

These case studies are clearly aimed at business customers and they have to get in touch with the company anyway if they need further consulting or quotes. Also, it is quite common in the b2b market, not only in the IT space, that you have to actively contact companies to be able to get information and documents like that. So no, I don’t think this will scare away any potential customers.

Too bad. Users like me are actually also interested in this kind of thing.

Yes, but Nextcloud GmbH doesn’t benefit directly from “normal” users reading these documents :wink:

…and besides, don’t you have an address like spam-me@gmx.de that can be used for such things? Or doesn’t that work?

Apart from that, I can only say that I’m personally not a fan of this practice either, and there are probably some potential business customers who are annoyed as well. However, very few of them will have a serious issue with it, as they are likely doing the same thing with their potential customers. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but otherwise they also find the community important.

Yes, but it’s a matter of principle.

:+1:

Yes, and there it is the same. I don’t like it because if you want to check different solutions, this takes a lot of time and 80% of what sounds nice, isn’t that nice if you get the detailed documents. And then you get commercial mails all the time, why you don’t buy their solution.

Yeah, as I said in my previous post, I’m not a fan of it either, and it’s kind of ironic because it probably annoys most people, but almost every company does it, and then they feed their CRM with the data, which they then use to annoy their potential customers with the exact same things that they themselves are annoyed with when other companies do it to them.

But of course the marketing people will come up with a thousand reasons why you absolutely have to do it, and at the end of the day, if they don’t overdo it, it will most likely help increase sales whether we like it or not. I’m sure there are plenty of case studies from marketing firms to back this up, otherwise they probably wouldn’t be doing it… :wink: