I try to install NextCloud, but it fails always

It fails every attempt to join a Windows domain. Doesn’t matter whether I do it at once, or install standalone and then try to join a domain. What might be the reason of this?

Kind regards, Vadim.

joining a domain? how exactly?

btw: welcome to the forum and thanks for your very first participation.

I run “run-join-scripts --ask-pass” and get this result:

Enter DC Master Account : Root
Enter DC Master Password:

Search LDAP binddn: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,keyboard-interactive).
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,keyboard-interactive).
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,keyboard-interactive).

• Running join scripts failed! *

What is “DC Master Account”? NextCloud account or target domain account?

Where did you get this from?
I don’t think Nextcloud has tools/scripts to join a domain.
The OS it runs on (e.g. Ubuntu) can be made part of a domain, but not the app…

Do you by any chance use a Univention server?

Or are you simple trying to use a Windows AD user directory?

joining a domain completely? with AD and such?

ummmm like @anon71540698 said… that’s not possible afaik.
but you could try to allow users of a domain to nc by enabling ldap within nc.
a pity that this is all i could tell you since i don’t run ldap on my nc. so all i can say is: the manual would know more.

good luck

OK, I have gave up with the Univention – it is crap.

Next – I try to install the NethServer version of NextCloud, but it cannot integrate with LDAP/AD as well. It just fails to connect to a domain controller. Why should I enter some bullshit in the credentials field instead of a user name?

Looks like linux community is making everything to NOT enter corporate environment. They are exposed to a panic phobia to instantly become a target of huge linux insecurity exploiting attack, I guess.

The log:

Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder. 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): Not a single Base DN given. 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given! 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder. 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): Not a single Base DN given. 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given! 2020-07-13T20:35:29+0300

when uid=username is the first position in the credentials line…

is it? i dunno. That was an important information you didn’t provide. You should have asked all of this at the help-forum of UCS first and foremost.

why don’t you ask your questions at a place where they might be placed better? like Categories - NethServer Community

as for LDAP and NC - you might wanna check the NC-manual ?

well this simply isn’t true and you know it yourself. so why venting off here about things that are apparently homegrown by you?

good luck.

1 Like

I got no response at UCS entirely, so I decided to ask here.

Nethserver.org asks for confirmation message or whatever, but they send nothing to confirm. 12 hours have passed and I still cannot register at their forum.

Nextcloud works just fine with external user directory like LDAP including AD.
And no bullshit is needed instead of a username - just basic search skills and half a brain.

If you need a good example of bullshit - it does not get any better than this

No bullshit instead of a username? What is this?

And in the log I see this: “Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder.” when my DN line STARTS with “uid=nextcloud,…”.

That’s the consequence of your inability to search…

Start here

And before you get another seizure when you see how the users show up, read this

After done, come back and we can talk more about BS and related subjects…

The result is this: “Base DN could not be auto-detected, please revise credentials, host and port.”

With the log records:

Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder. 2020-07-15T09:16:24+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given! 2020-07-15T09:16:24+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder. 2020-07-15T09:16:24+0300
Warning user_ldap Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given! 2020-07-15T09:16:24+0300

Again it is looking for %uid. To be true – nothing different may be expected from a “free” software – no one gives a shit to make it human oriented and functional.

Do you have a working domain controller? Do you know the administrator credentials?
Enter them

If your Windows server is really old you might have to use uid=administrator, dc=domain instead of domain\administrator…

Again, you do understand that remarks like this do nothing but show your complete impotence as an IT professional, don’t you?

Here is how Cisco - the very definition of “non-free” corporate identity does LDAP binding on their Cisco ASA appliances

Easy-peasy, isn’t it?

There is a slight difference: CISCO does function, NethServer – does not. When I say “human friendly” I mean that error messages reflect the situation and help to localize a problem, but not expose erratic switch() { } block behavior. As I have told already: NethServer complains of missing %uid parameter no matter what I do. Even when I enter “uid=username” and nothing else it responds that there is no %uid…

I have IT experience since 1985, dealing with architectures, OSes, databases and programming languages more than you may imagine. And I am capable to distinguish programming error from “poor planet disposition”. This IS a bug, malfunction, name it yourself. And this kind of errors happens when a coder just does not give a f%ck about the final result.

Having that in mind I came to a conclusion that NethServer is poorly managed, poorly coded and does not worth attention. Thank you.

Switching to FreeNAS/TrueNAS. At least they do not say I cannot bypass their bugs and react promptly to detected issues: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106812.

You need to chill out

1 Like

@vadimax @anon71540698

there has been complaints about your rude tone here on the forum. which i can totally understand.
read and follow the nc-guidelines and nc code-of-conduct. you already have agreed upon both by registering here.

I kindly ask you to please stop all of that ranting now. every further unfriendly posting from this point on is gonna be removed and you’ll get an official warning.

@vadimax
i can’t help it but you seem to mix things. nethserver is nethserver, ucs is ucs. and nextcloud is nextcloud. 3 different projects/companies/ideas. not commercially connected to each other (afaik).
nethserver and ucs do feature nextcloud. if there are problems with their systems your first addressee is the referring provider.

and one more thing to think of: anyone asked you to use either ucs or nethserver or nextcloud in the end. it’s YOUR decision. if you don’t like any of those - that’s OK.
but you please stay polite. since you are talking to volounteers here. they tried to help you in their SPAREtime. for free.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.