I can't set up local storage

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 15.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ?
PHP version (eg, 7.1): ?

The issue you are facing:

I installed Nextcloud on Ubuntu using SNAP and now I can’t set up a local folder as external storage on Nextcloud: I’m following the guide, and already ran the following commands:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /home/david/Descargas/
sudo chmod -R 0750 /home/david/Descargas/
sudo -u www-data bash
cd /home/david/Descargas/
mkdir data

I also added the folder as external storage:

But then Nextcloud doesn’t even see it:

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Yes.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Add local external storage
  2. Try to use it.
  3. :frowning:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

(The editor won’t let me paste text that long)

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

(Not sure where to find this file)

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

(Not sure where to find this file)

I think it has to do with your order of providing ownership. You first chown the directory for www-data and then you create the directory, presumably as root or david? That means that the data dir you just made will have the ownership of the user that just did the mkdir data command. You have to chown it again

Thanks for your reply. I uninstalled Nextcloud and reinstalled it without using SNAP, and now for some reason I can set up folders in the same drive as local storage.

What I can’t do is use folders in USB drives. When I try to do that, I get this:

So, my question is: am I supposed to be able to use USB drives with Nextcloud at all?

Could you translate some of that for me? I know some Spanish but not some of those words :slight_smile: my next guess was the snap causing the issue, presumably because of the sandboxing that snaps do. You should be able to use USB storage so long as the permissions are correct