I cannot delete a folder

I have a folder that I cannot delete. When I try to delete it, a box pops up at the top saying “Error deleting file .” I thought it may be protecting me against deleting a non-empty folder, so I deleted everything in it, and there was one specific subfolder I could not delete, even though it was empty. That kinda ruled out empty folder deletion prevention. I saw a thread saying that it might be caused by files being owned by the wrong user, but the ownership is correct. I’ve found another thread that says my files might be locked and that I should check the logs to make sure and then run a bunch of SQL commands to fix it. However, I cannot figure out how to check the logs or run SQL commands on my server. Are there any other possible causes I haven’t considered, and how would I troubleshoot this?

First of all, you should provide more valuable information about what Nextcloud version you’re using on which environment (OS, Web server etc.) and where you’re hosting your installation. This might help people to assist you in finding the web servers and Nextcloud log file.

I’m running Nextcloud 15 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ located in my closet. It’s running Raspbian and I think I’m using the Apache web server.

Is there any more information that I need to provide?

When you checked ownership of the subdirectory, were you checking the unix filesystem or inside the nextcloud UI?

The logs are probably in /var/log/nextcloud or something similar. My server is running under FreeBSD. Your OS may put things in different places. If you don’t know how to get to /var/log/ to look for nextcloud log files, you may want to start with some basic Linux documentation/tutorials.

Do you know how to get to a command line on the server? I’m sorry if that seems like a silly question, but we don’t know how much you know. Not knowing for sure which web server you are using seems to indicate that you may be very new to running a linux server.

The cost of opensource is the learning curve needed to do things that commercial products would streamline for their target customers, who are often less sophisticated in the IT department.

I checked my permissions using the stat command on /var/www/html/nextcloud/data and a few subfolders. It was 33/www-data for both user and group. Just in case folders inside of it had different permissions, I did sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/nextcloud/data/.

I know how to access the command line. I’ve got ssh set up. Yep, I am new to running a server, but I am not very new to Linux. I’ve been happily using it on my laptop since 2016. The tutorial I copy-pasted commands from said something about using a LAMP stack, so I am assuming an Apache webserver because that’s what the A in LAMP stands for. Running a ps command shows a few apache2 processes and no nginx processes, which further suggests that I am using apache.

There is nothing in /var/log that looks like it belongs to nextcloud. My research confirms your statement that it is usually /var/log/nextcloud.log. Is there anywhere else it might be?

When I try to delete the folder in the Android client, it says “Locked” rather than “Error deleting file.” Is that helpful?

Is bumping this thread again frowned upon here?

I have the exact same problem. I created a new folder, moved some files, deleted old empty folders after moving the files and renamed some folders in Mac OS Finder in the Nextcloud folder. The files were synced, now I have a yellow warning in MacOS Finder at the parent folder. And in the iPhone App or the webbrowser I see a folder “New Folder”, with a folder in it i actually moved. Both these folders can’t be deleted, neither in the browser nor in MacOS or the iOS app. In MacOS Finder these folders are not shown. Other folders in the same parent folder can be edited or renamed. All apps and OS are up-to-date.

Nextcloud 18.0.6

PHP

Version: 7.3.17
RAM limit: 256 MB
Max. time: 3600
Max. upload: 200 MB

MySQL
Type: mysql
Version: 5.7.28
Size: 175,1 MB

There is no nextcloud.log in /var/log/.

I could delete the folders via FTP now.

(Still strange, why they could not be deleted in App or browser and why they did not show up on MacOS. The ftp file permissions were the same as the other files.)