I believe I have to give up on NextCloud

You have a wonderful product that I am using 4 years. It does not cost anything but I would rather pay if it was not so difficult.

Very frequent updates one every two months. Every update something goes wrong. One that was hanging with me was the database and emojies. I could not solve, it required in depth understanding of how the date base works. Later there were other complaints but it still worked. A requirement to goto PHP 7.4. I installed it but I do not know how to make Nextcloud work with it.

So I decided to reinstall. Fresh with Snap. I never could come to the point that Nextcloud would start. My directory was on a other disk. I could not get around the problem. When I found out that everything is now in a different place with Snap I give up.

Tried to install again traditionally. So first Ubuntu, then Apache2/PHP7.4/MariaDB. Found a way to make MariaDB would use Barracuda as the default database, Pffffff. Than install Nextcloud 19.0.4.2 in /var/www/nextcloud and yes it came up, so happy. Installed Redis and Letsencrypt.

Then I take a look at the security and settings page.

This is not to do any more for me. Why these errors on a fresh install?
The documentations expect me to know where files are. I am not a beginner, I do not know the syntax of php and all the other programs configuration files. I search the internet and yes other people have have similar issues but just on other systems.

I believe if I do an install I should have no errors after install. I am very sorry to complain like this, I give up and am going to find an other solution for files, adressbook and contacts.
Best Regards Cees

I am sorry to hear of your problems. But other people have different experiences. I have had no problems upgrading my Nextcloud instance since Nextcloud 13, when I started using it. You do not have to upgrade to the next major version immediately, even if you get the notification. AFAIK Nextlcoud 20 only requires PHP 7.2.

Nextcloud is certainly not perfect, but to me it also seems like at least part of the issues were caused by MariaDB or Ubuntu. Nextcloud for sure is not responsible for Letsencrypt and the HTTPS configuration, is it?

Regarding MySQL, I recommend using PostgreSQL. I find it to be less finicky and to “just work”.

Have you considered getting a managed Nextcloud instance where you don’t have to maintain it yourself?

That’s wrong

OK, interesting: I based my statement on information provided here: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html#server

Anyway, feel free to ask for help if you want to give it another go. Although I can’t help you with Snap and MySQL since I use Debian 10 natively (no Snap, no Docker) and use PostgreSQL, but maybe others can.

Sorry to hear that but maybe you would like to use nextcloud in docker what makes life easy and updates really smooth.

Hello,

no that isn’t wrong.
NC20 is supporting php 7.2
The original plan was to skip support for 7.2, but that changed.

Which version are you running? 19.0.3 or 19.0.4

I posted the screenshot my 19.04 installation shows.
It contradicts what you just said…

This time you can believe me without any doubts. Checked that with the devs last weekend.

The VM update scripts have been adapted as well.

You are all right. It depends which version you are running :wink:

If that does not work for @anon71540698 either the instance is still 19.0.3 or the check is broken.

When i posted the screenshot - 2h ago - it was 19.04 and NC 20 requires php 7.3.
If this message has been revised between then and now - you could be right.

With the current mess I wouldn’t try any updates anyway…

Updated 3rd of october and the information was from that day.

But anyway we get off-topic for this thread (like many times nowadays).

When running a FOSS home server solution for data, contacts and calendar you will likely never come around learning some basics of databases, like SQL syntax, about HTTPS/TLS concept and solutions, basic webserver setup etc. Yes snap and docker and other appliances or one-click install solutions, NextCloudPi or DietPi make the initial install and getting started easier, but have other limitations when it comes to custom needs and configs. And everything that is attached to www must IMO kept up-to-date, as web standards (especially security related) develop and an outdated application quickly suffers from lack of supporting then secure-assumed standards or even suffers from serious security holes closed in recent versions (not only NC but webserver, PHP, other backends). And when updating a system there is always the chance that manual steps or fixes are required, depending on the degree of customization or complexity of the setup, also with docker or snap.

That is basically true for all solutions out there so I suggest you accept reading into those topics and ask for help here as fast as you face an issue or question. The NC community is awesome in helping out with knowledge and experience and you’ll see that you’ll be able to better solve any kind of issues yourself over time by growing into all this, at least this was my story :wink:. Definitely better than accumulating issues until giving up.

Little note about the admin panel messages: Those are no errors or any issues with Nextcloud but warnings or hints about what should be changed with the surrounding webserver setup to have a fully featured and secure instance. HTTPS is self explaining I hope? The two carddav/caldav messages can be ignored as long as you connect with your calendar and contact clients via the full NC URLs that are e.g. given by the calendar/client apps UI. Setting up those .well-known redirects/rewrites is only for convenience so that it is enough to enter you NC server domain/hostname only into clients and they land at the calendar/contacts backend of NC regardless.

3 Likes

Hi guys, Thank you for all the replies to my emotional cry of frustration. I apologise for having such an outcry.

I decided to try https://thegood.cloud. Very good experience, but then again all my personal file out in the dark. After a few days I started worrying. What if somebody wanted to do something bad?

The good news is that I have Nextcloud 20.0 running without any security and setting warnings. I took an old machine and several tries over and over to get everything in good shape. Yes a have a script now that will create a complete installation error free.

Again, thanks for your support, you made me try again!

Regards, Cees

3 Likes

@NextCees
Very nice.

Off topic.
If you have in Nextcloud 20 the same error with uploading and deleting with a public shares like me you can deactivate the “Activity App” to bypass the problem and must not search it.

Thank you!

I would concur with the opening remarks - this is a package which is too unreliable for serious use.
Documentation is either incorrect or out of date
The community gets very little by way of substantive solutions - I am beyond that fuzzy feel good factor of being lost at sea with thousands of other users vainly seeking a paddle. I want solutions
My experience has been a horrid one and one i now gladly turn my back on.

Nextcloud uses the webserver and database server that are on the system. So they need to be configured and some changes in the past required to apply some updates to this configuration between versions. We try to update the documentation with helpful steps, or put something in howtos here on the forum. The “traditional” way is not bad since a lot are using this configuration and can help you.

https can be installed with letsencrypt “easily”, behind a home network router everything can be a bit tricky, then you need to become a bit of a network expert. Without more details it’s difficult to help here.

Does anyone know how dedicated users, such as myself, could have an opportunity to drastically improve the English version of the official documentation by freelancing for Nextcloud GmBH?

May i suggest using ncp via the curl installer, you copy paste one line into terminal and get a working instance of nextcloud, curated updates, a bit later than the normal stable updates but therefore tested and working, a hamdy backend to configure everything you need to run nextcloud, backup management and a lot more, all made for the non experienced user, instead of it pro’s…

1 Like