HTTPS and Google Domains - Metrics

Dear whom,
I found that trying to route metrics to my Grafana server requires some level of authentication. I then discovered that my NextCloudPi server does not have HTTPS. I have read so many topics around this isssue have failed to read one that has Google domains as the registrar. I have a paid Domain name, and paid DNS service and have read loads on Cerbot and letsencrypt, however, these all rely upon other services. Google domains has a really strange way of registering a domain.

I have generated nextcloud.mydomain.co.uk in A class and pointing temporarily to my homes WAN IP. When I try to go through the motions of generating a certificate and pointing to my domain the panel page using config.conf is accessible but I lose access to my actual Cloud as it now points to an Apache page, I believe I now have a secure HTTPS. Could someone please provide a complete walkthrough of creating a Google Domain to linking as I’m having so much hassle going back and forth trying to get my head around this and I can’t find any reference to a Google domain being used with NextCloudPi.

Any help is really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Spence

Normally, once you have the A record pointing to your server, the verification process with letsencrypt should work the same way for all domains and is not specific to google domains. Except if google has excluded their domains from letsencrypt???

The verification usually goes through http (unencrypted) which needs to be forwarded by your router as well.

2 Likes

Hi Tfflid,
I tried as you suggested and port 80 is accessible but I get this error.

Domain: nextcloud..co.uk
Type: connection
Detail: 2.
: Fetching
http://nextcloud.*.co.uk/.well-known/acme-challenge:
Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was
entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain
contain(s) the right IP address. Additionally, please check that
your computer has a publicly routable IP address and that no
firewalls are preventing the server from communicating with the
client. If you’re using the webroot plugin, you should also verify
that you are serving files from the webroot path you provided.

Not quite sure what’s going on here!? and don’t believe it is a firewall problem

Kind regards,

Spence

If you don’t think it is a firewall or forwarding problem, you should see entries in your webserver log files. So in this case you should see why the webserver handles the acme challenge not correctly.