Howto use encrypted microSD card as storage for Nextcloud?

Hi guys,

I would appreciate any advice on

How to store my data & pics on the encrypted microSD card (256GB Samsung Evo Plus UHS-3) inserted into the card slot of my Galaxy S7 running LineageOS for microG 14.1., herolte, latest version.

NextcloudApp > Settings > “Storage location” allows to select between the following storage locations:

1. /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client
  2. /data/user/0/com.nextcloud.client/files
  3. /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.nextcloud.client/files

As far as I understand they are all located in the internalSD with just 32GB size. Is this right?

My encrypted external card (256GB) is mounted as
/mnt/expand/7037498d-c46e-446e-b3e4-1ed3ee8363c2

How can I select that path in the settings of the Nextcloud App?

I have root access via adb in case this would help.

Store files on SD card and SD card support unfortunately don’t seem to help.
Desparately looking for a solution to round up my great experience with Nextcloud…

I wonder if encryption is to blame for it not showing up for you here… @mario/@tobiasKaminsky/@Andy

Maybe indirectly due to a different kind of path. I can easily copy files manually to the microSD card, so in principle it is decrypted and accessible like a not encrypted drive.
The relevant output of mount is

$ mount
/dev/block/dm-0 on /mnt/expand/7037498d-c46e-446e-b3e4-1ed3ee8363c2 type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime)

Unlike some other devices it does not seem to be mounted / accessible via any additional path / mount point.
Just let me know if I can assist with further info / details.

One more info:
A microSD card which is not encrypted shows up as something like

/storage/4G0D-1234/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client

as I found out yesterday.

Something seems strange to me:
I always thought that (end-to-end-)encryption and privacy is THE focus of Nextcloud. But when it comes to storing data on a microSD card in the phone, which everybody can remove extremely easily (only) a non-encrypted card can be selected?
Shouldn’t it be the other way round?

I hope I am on the wrong track, but please let me know how to do better.
Any way to permanently mount the encrypted card such that it is found?

@JasonBayton: Thanks for you initial answer! As there is no feedback up to now: Would you suggest to file a bug report in git? Or better directly contact one of the experts you addressed?

@ubuntiger best is in such cases to go for a github issues. While you are right that we are very security/privacy conscious the app kind of behaves the other way around since Android users like to use the Android eco system this is so because we got a lot of extreme heat/hate when we moved to encrypted/hidden first since the users images then didn’t show up in the Android image Gallery app(s). So we decided to leave the option to the user to not go down that road and opt-in for a more secured file location.