How to transfer data folder from old oc/nextcloud 12 to nextcloud 13 best?

Hi folks,

i have an old owncloud server updateed to nextcloud 12.1.
Now i want a clean nextcloud 13.
So my question is, how do i transfer the data from nc12 to nc 13?
In best case there are no lost users and data. Is it possible?

My hoster is all-inkl, so i have no root access and i have no knowledge with ssh. I only use FTP for filetransfer and for updating my nextcloud.
I hope there is a solution for newbies like me!

greetings

Nobody an idea??

Setup an Nextcloud 12.1 or update yout NC 12.1 to 13, so that the versionnumbers match exactly.

You must migrate you database aswell as the Datafolder, and the config file under config/config.php

Migrating the DB could be difficult without root access. Do you have any access to that?

For the files its important to keep the timestamps of the files.

Please post your config.php here, so we get a bit more information on your setup (remove sensitive data of course).

But without DB access this could be difficult. How many users do you have? Do you have theoretical ssh access? Dont know all-inkl for that matter. If so, we might have a chance of guiding you though this :slight_smile:

I´ve allready exported my database. And import is also possible.
Ssh should be available but i have not used it right now.
On every Update I saved my data folder and config folder by ftp. so this files are available.
What do you mean with the timestamp? How does it change?
There are only 5 users with about 7GB on my cloud. I know it is not so much. But to much to upload them by myself.
So, do you think it is possible with ssh?

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'xxxxxx',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxxxx',
  'secret' => 'xxxxxxxx',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'xxxxxxx',
  ),
  'tempdirectory' => '/www/htdocs/xxxxx/cloud/tmp/',
  'datadirectory' => '/www/htdocs/xxxxx/cloud/data',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://cloudxxxx.xx',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '12.0.5.3',
  'dbname' => 'xxxxxx',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'xxxxx',
  'dbpassword' => 'xxxxxx',
  'logtimezone' => 'UTC',
  'installed' => true,
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'xxxxx',
  'mail_domain' => 'xxxxx.xx',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'smtp.bhanke.info',
  'mail_smtpport' => '587',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'xxxxx',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'xxxxx',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto',
  'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
  'ldapIgnoreNamingRules' => false,
  'appstore.experimental.enabled' => true,
);

Cool, may mainconcern was the db.

The timestamp is part of the file metadate, you can see it in every os next to the filename whe you are listing the filedetails. Nextcloud uses this timestamp (as well as other parameters) to determine if a file has changed and if it needs to up or download it. If you just copy them wia ftp, your timestamp whil change to the time you perform the copy operation. As far as i know, ftp is not able to handle it. If you copy via ftp, your users will expierience a complete resync of their data, which is inconvienient, but nothing should be lost.

If you want to avoid this, check if the port 22 is open on the receiving server, and copy it with rsync -t.

If you need further help, i´m back tomorrow.

1 Like

I definitively need more help, becaus i understand almost nothing.
I will try ssh also tomorrow, so there is no need to hurry :slight_smile:
SSH works. But i don´t know how to backup my files.
Is it possible to get a point to point instruction? And a describtion of what i must save and do first befor i try to copy my data to the new NC ?
I am so thankful for the help!!

Why do you want to make a new setup? Upgrades sometimes repair things which were broken before. If you just copy many thing into your new setup (especially database), there is also a risk, that you copy the problem with your old setup. Or the error is else where and will appear on a new setup as well.

Other way: Create a new cloud but keep the old one online. Use the federated sharing tool, to share data between the two and migrate slowly data to the new setup.

1 Like

Good idea, but how do i migrate the users?