How to share a file with the sync agent without data loss?

Nextcloud version : 27.1.3
Operating system and version : Debian 12
Apache or nginx version : 2.4.57
PHP version : 8.2.13

Context:

With my wife and children, we use a Nextcloud v27 service (I will update soon).
My children are located in another city, which adds a constraint to our communication.
On each workstation, we have installed a synchronization agent, allowing each user to access files they are authorized to.
The synchronization agent is configured in “Virtual Drive” mode to avoid overloading local storage on users’ workstations.
On the server side, we have activated the “File Locks” application.
Additionally, we have activated the “Group Folders” application.
Therefore, there are documents that can be accessed by different users.

Problem:
It is precisely in this context that we encounter a problem of file overwriting by these third parties.

example:
Let’s consider a simple file placed in a group folder.
This file is accessible for read and write to users A, B, and C.
Our users directly use the files from their workstations without going through the Nextcloud web interface.
In the same time frame, without prior coordination, users A and C open the same file.
User C makes a major change in the file and saves it 40 minutes after opening it.
User A, on the other hand, makes a minor change 47 minutes after opening it.

Questions:
Are the changes made by user C lost, or is there a simple way to recover them?
What, in your opinion, is the best way to collaborate in this context?
What will happen when user B, who opened the same file 42 minutes after the first user, saves their changes in 2 hours and 30 minutes?

No need. v27 is still well supported and receiving updates. Though you may want to bump up to the latest patch level of v27.1.7. :slight_smile:

On the server side, we have activated the “File Locks” application.
[…]
Let’s consider a simple file placed in a group folder.

What types of files are we talking about?

Hi Jtr,
We are talking about any type of office file, whether it be text files, spreadsheets, presentations, or word processing documents.
Of course, I am not referring to databases.