How to remove the "Reasons to use Nextcloud in your organization"

Yeah sure, it isn’t beautiful from a design standpoint. But on the other hand it’s on a page where you don’t have anything to do on a daily basis, and I also find it perfectly legitimate that they advertise the services of their company at one place in the product. I mean it’s not like there is a banner on every page or a nag screen after login every one and so often, like with “Freemium” products from many commercial vendors, or with the Collabora CODE Docker container. :wink:

That should not be a reason to improve an AGPL software a little bit. Enough programmers will exist. Also certainly takes less than an hour.

Yes it is ok. But i think the button and text can be improved.

You can configure the Nextcloud footer and that is very nice. The problem on the login page see my other problem can not change, I also find much worse. Not only that it is really ugly. I think most users won’t even understand the issue. Maybe you can also add a link on the login page above username/password to Push notifications - Nextcloud Fair Use Policy and NGO program. So that the user understands why the message appears in the first place.

“Diese Community-Version von Nextcloud wird nicht unterstützt und (Push-)Benachrichtigungen sind nur begrenzt verfügbar.”

Yeah, but as I said, this is another, and more complicated topic, imho.

One could also argue, that you just shouldn’t use Nextcloud without subscription for more than 500 users. I think this specific warning on the log-in page is indended to hurt, at least a little. Whether this is the right way to convince more companies to pay for Nextcloud Enterprise, is certainly questionable, and I honestly have my doubts, that this is the right way to do it.

Yes. I understand that and i also understand Nextcloud GmbH. But I don’t understand why you have to present the message to the end user before login. In my opinion, this is only done to spoil the operator and the users of Nextcloud, which is free according to AGPL, with more than 500 users. The fact that Nextcloud GmbH provides an infrastructure for push notifications and also apps and normally earns money with larger installations, I find perfectly fine. However, I do not find it okay how this is presented to the end user.

What about providers such as https://cloud.tab.digital or their instance https://nc.nl.tab.digital? Are they the bad guys from Nextcloud GmbH’s point of view, since they do not license many users with 8 GB of storage, especially those who are free? Maybe someone can write something about this.

I think Tab.Digital doesn’t have to and doesn’t want to point out the limitations of Nextcloud to users before they log in. Tab.Digital can do that much better in other places. As a Tab.Digital, I would probably rewrite the login page and discreetly move the message to the footer.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on this one.

Although I do think that large companies with more than 500 employees, and also service providers like tab.digital should pay for Nextcloud if they are using it commercially, I don’t think that such a message belongs on the login screen. And I think it could even have the opposite effect in many cases, as what Nextcloud GmbH wants to achieve with it, meaning it could also turn potential customers away from Nextcloud, instead of convincing them to get a subscription. But I am not a marketing professional, and this is just how I feel about this.

Anyways, home users and smaller SMBs are not affected by this, except maybe service providers like tab.digital, which do also offer free hosting. However, they might have to rethink their business model, or fork NC and patch this stuff out. I mean at the end of the day, it’s not the responsibility of the Nextcloud GmbH whether the business model of a company that uses Nextcloud is sustainable or not. :wink:

But again, I agree with you, that this should be handled in a better and more elegant way.

1 Like

Thanks. I comment my other thread and either it will be changed or it won’t. As written I have no problem with the procedure, but only with the text on the login page.