How to nextcloud.occ files:scan --all after manual upload to Ubuntu 20.04 snap

Sync issues with Desktop client 3.0.3 on Linux Mint

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The issue you are facing:

Background: I’m a new user with a Nextcloud Snap running on Ubuntu 20.04 on Digital Ocean droplet. In the first instance I am interested in replacing Dropbox for Business for a small non-profit org for which I’m a board member. Later, I’d like to make use of additional features, in particular a discussion forum (and, ideally, a wiki).

I am on a slow DSL link and was unable to get rclone working Dropbox for Business so used webDAV to transfer the files (yes, I shied away from the untested app) via Multcloud.com. This worked well, apart from the fact that the file date and time stamps were not transferred.

As result, the desktop sync client (running on Linux Mint 19.3) wanted to recopy the entire data set.

To remedy this I copied the data files on the server to mounted storage, connected it via sshfs, chowned all of them to my username, used Beyond Compare’ “touch” command to transfer all the datestamps from my local source folder to the server. I then reverted the file ownerships to root and copied them back. No new files were added.

I then looked to run nextcloud.occ files:scan --all

The first problem was that the documentation seems to be inaccurate if one is running on a snap (yields error messages about working outside snap storage, if I understand correctly). I found this: https://medium.com/hackernoon/managing-ubuntu-snaps-the-stuff-no-one-tells-you-625dfbe4b26c ; are there other resources readily available?

I managed to run the scan as myself, having had errors on www-data and not knowing what to do to resolve.

This didn’t resolve the issue with desktop sync client wanting to recopy the data. I then found on the settings screen that primary keys were missing and ran

sudo nextcloud.occ db:add-missing-primary-keys

Subsequently, the desktop client finished up the sync quickly without recopying data.

That had no sooner finished than I started seeing the Dropbox client, which is syncing the same local folder on my laptop to Dropbox, start to get busy (both sync clients are pointed to the same folder–a mistake at this stage). I found it was setting all the date stamps to today /sigh, so I killed it and restored the date and time stamps from a backup.

What do I have to do to get the desktop client not to redate the files? (and not to recopy them)

What should I have done given an upload of files that needed to have updated timestamps registered?

1 Like