How to migrate to nextcloud aio?

Hey everyone,
this sounds like a fast catch for everyone in this forum. “Yet another user unable to read the documentation…”
Yeah, proof me that and I will be thankful! :smiley:

So, what is my problem? In short: I don’t know how to safely migrate from old container image to the new and recommended all in one container image.
In detail:

Make sure that your old instance is on exactly the same version like the version used in Nextcloud AIO. (e.g. 23.0.0) You can find the used version here: Repository search results ¡ GitHub . If not, simply upgrade your former installation to that version or wait until the version used in Nextcloud AIO got updated to the same version of your former installation or the other way around.

So, the link is dead…
Well… Now: How do I make sure, that the used image (with date number tag) represents my specific nextcloud version number? I’m currently running 28.0.1.1, but how do I know if image" 20240124_105749-latest" is this version (or any close?).

• So I tried otherwise looking at the available releases MarkDown file: github. com/nextcloud/all-in-one/releases . Surprisingly, it is still one major version behind - or am I reading it wrong?

So, tl;dr:

1. How do AIO image tags compare to nextcloud version numbers?
  2. If this assumption is correct and there is a version number connection: Why is the AIO variant one major version behind the outdated unrecommended “nextcloud manual image”?

Cheers, dXm

Not sure if you still need help but hopefully this helps anyone else that bumps into this…

In order for the link they included to work you have to be signed in to a github account.

If you don’t want to do that, here’s a link to that file in the latest major release (8.2.0) that should work regardless.

For anyone who finds this later and wants to confirm their version number. Go to releases, scroll to the version you’re planning to use, they mention the nextcloud version at the top of the release notes.

1 Like

Yeah, still reading, but luckily, as I checked after months for the first time! ;D
Thanks, I will have a look!

The AIO image leans towards mature releases[1]. It isn’t always going to be the most bleeding edge Server version. Stability is prioritized over new features.

The image you’re comparing it to (the micro-services image[2]) tracks Server releases, with means usually no more than a couple of days of latency from release.

As for versions: If you already have the target AIO instance online (for testing/preparation) you can also simply compare the Server version listed under Administration settings->Overview between both instances.

P.S. The micro-services image isn’t unrecommended; it just has different use cases and is more oriented towards expert deployments and intended as a base image to build custom deployments on top of. It’s also largely community maintained.

[1] GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: 📦 The official Nextcloud installation method. Provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.
[2] GitHub - nextcloud/docker: ⛴ Docker image of Nextcloud