How to get rid of the "Shared" folder

Nextcloud version (eg, 29.0.5): 29.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 29.04): 24.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): latest aio
PHP version (eg, 8.3): latest aio

Hi!

In Nextcloud 29 when you share a folder or a file with someone else, the person you shared it with, is getting the files shown under “All Files” in an seperate folder named “Shared”, and in there, there are the shared files, which the user can move out of it. In Nextcloud 28 the user just gets the files displayed under “All Files” and there is no such “Shared” folder. Is there a possibility to disable that the files are being laid in that folder by default, and get shown directly under “All Files” without the user having to move them out of the folder?

Thank you for your help!

there used to be share_folder parameter that you can add/adjust in your Nextcloud’s config.php
Whilst you can’t remove the folder, as it stores shares from other users with you, you can hide it, ie point it to a name starting with . (.shared) to make it a hidden folder

Yes, by changing the following line in the config.php from…

'share_folder' => '/Shared',

to:

'share_folder' => '/',

This will make shared files and folders appear in the root folder of the users, or in “all files” as you call it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help, that worked!

In this video the person shows that this value can be set in the web ui. Is that natively implemented and just got removed since NC25 or is that a plugin? Can’t find that field in my cloud.

I don’t have it either (NC 29.0.1), but to be honest, I’m not sure if it was ever there.

I found the following app in the store, but it doesn’t seem to be exactly the same thing as shown in the video: ShareMover - Apps - App Store - Nextcloud

Of course, it could also be an app or customization that tab.digital added exclusively to their service, or it could actually have been a standard feature that was removed, which would be a shame because I think it would actually be a nice feature to have.

The code is still in place, but isn’t visible for some reason: [Bug]: Custom share folder setting isn't displayed anymore · Issue #43905 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.