How to determine how many inodes are in use?

Nextcloud client version: Version 3.5.2 (Ubuntu)
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

The issue you are facing:
How can I find how many inodes I’m using at the moment? Apparently, I’ve hit my limit which forces the desktop client offline and the HTTP client won’t respond either. Only once the limit has been increased by an admin and/or when the trash has been emptied, I can log in again. Note, this is not the file size limit, I’m only using 22% of my quota. The desktop client doesn’t notify me of hitting the quota, and the WebDAV API only lists the file size quota, not the inode quota. I don’t really feel like building a client myself that will count files stored in NC.

Strangely enough, I can’t find any info online about other users hitting their inode limit.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Keep uploading files until you hit your inode limit
  2. Everything breaks; desktop client stops working because the connection to the server is interrupted, and the HTTP client doesn’t repond.

Where do you hit the limit on the server or the client?
It sounds more like on the server side. For disk usage, the df command is pretty helpful and it has an option for inodes as well:
df -i

For the limits and how to change them, it depends on the filesystem you are using. Probably depending on the file system it’s more or less likely to hit limits, but I haven’t heard from that a lot. So perhaps check as well, that you don’t have other problems in your system that create tons of unwanted tiny files (search a bit, perhaps you find tools to show the inodes per folder or something like that).

The server side, indeed! But if this doesn’t happen normally, then perhaps my assumption that it was a limit imposed by NC, is wrong.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I can only run that locally, and there df reports that I’m using 531130 inodes while the server admin reports I’m using 183281 inodes. That is after I cleaned up when I hit the 200K inode limit. So I suppose it depends on the server’s disk configuration. I’m starting to realize this perhaps has little to do with NC, and it’s a server-side limit outside of the NC software.

Yes, it’s not Nextcloud imposing that limit.

I don’t know the type of filesystem you are using, the inode limits I see on my systems are rather in the 10s or 100s of millions inodes. 200K is really not a lot and I would easily get problems as well.

Thanks a lot! I definitely need to talk to my server admin :grin: