How to change from IP to URL

[/details]

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.5Ubuntu 20.0.4 mounted on a VM on QNAPreplace me
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
I have installed NC on a QNAP with VM. I have an IP to the QNAP and all is good, but I have searched teh documentation and cannot find how to convert the IP to a URL, anyone able to point me to a guide where that is. Many thanks

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): n/a

Steps to replicate it: n/a

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

You need a domain, then you can change the settings to that domain.

1 Like

That’s the one bit I knew, but how to change the settings and what settings is the mysetry, is this documented somewhere and if not why not?

Is the domain set up, and your web server set up to handle a domain?

Is the domain set up, and your web server set up to handle a domain?

I’m not understandng what you mwean? I have a domain but I’ve not done anything to it because I can’t find any documentation.

Ok, you have to get, the DNS set up to your server, do you own the server or are you using a hosted platform and what OS are you running? I might be able to help you, and this is out side of the Nextcloud stuff, but it is still good to know.

thanks for the awesome information . . . .

Hi - having been offline for 3-months, I’m still trying to resolve this. I’m not familiar with linyx so am learing, slowly.

I’ve found this on the web: https://techmadeeasy.co.uk/2020/03/access-a-nextcloud-server-from-outside-your-home-network/ and have followed the instructions (to what I thought was right.

In summary, I have:
Created a no-ip ddns name (digitalgerry.ddns.net)
Port forwarded (I think correctly to the IP address in the ddns setup with no-ip

But I’m not sure what I should be doing next - I did try amended the IP{ file but didn’t work)

Is anyone able to give step by step guides (or point me to where it’s written out in simple steps?
Many thanks in advance
Gerry

PS a really simple How-to guide would be helpful (I can’t find one)

1 Like