How to best deal with versions of large files

Perhaps this needs to be moved to the feature request category, but it’s possible I could be missing something.

Does anyone know of a way to delete individual versions of a particular file, or otherwise manage versions on the file level?

Basically I have a ~500mb tarball of my WSL file system that gets uploaded every other day. With versioning turned on, this results in a new 500mb version each time. That adds up pretty quickly as you can imagine. I’m aware of the versioning config settings available as described here but they don’t seem to allow anything granular. I do like versioning (and the defaults) on other files, but don’t need it at all for this.

Unfortunately, there’ no way within the UI to delete an individual version (that I can find), or I’d just do that. There also doesn’t seem to be a way to do it via the command line (occ). It either deletes “all” versions for the system or a particular user.

Am I missing anything aside from manually deleting from the filesystem/DB? The best solution in my case would be a setting to not create versions for files over X size. But it would also be nice just to be able delete individual versions (or all versions for a file).

2 Likes

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I would like to store a VeraCrypt volume on my NextCloud share but don’t want it to manage versions of it since it will be quite large.

@unleashit @Elliott
I have no real solution.

Maybe it is not a good idea to upload a tarball (backup) to Nextcloud. Nextcloud is not a really good place for backups. Maybe you can better use a SSH/SFTP-hosting service. By the way, it is important to keep some versions. But backup copies are actually made differently (incremental backup).

If you want use Nextcloud you can use on every upload a new name (e.g. date and time in the name). First you get a new version for every file. I think there are Nextcloud features maybe with Workflow external scripts to delete old files (than not version) in Nextcloud.

File versions highly depend on available user space/quota. If you create a separate user for your backup and assign reasonable low quota to keep enough versions it will remove them automatically once 50% limit is crossed (but you need to use same filename all the time).

1 Like