How does Photos 2 handle existing Face Tags?

Hi,

I use some programs on my local system to tag people on images and have them recognized using algorythms. I primarily use DigiKam, which has now a pretty good workflow for this. The software offers the function to store the face tags, but also the information about the recognized faces (i.e. the region in the image where the face is located, “face tagging including face areas”) in the file, i.e. in the metadata itself. This is done, as far as I understand, using the “XMP-mwg-rs” information (Name, Region List, Regions…, Type) and the XMP-MP information (Person Display Name, Rectangle, Region Info…, Regions) etc. So the program writes the found and assigned image areas into the metadata according to different standards.

My questions now are:

1. Will the Photos 2 app be able to read this metadata already stored in my photos?
  2. Will the Photos 2 app be able to process this metadata already stored in my photos? Meaning, will it show the tags comming from this metadata and let me filter for them ie.?
  3. Will the Photos 2 app be able to integrate this metadata already stored in my photos into the processing within the Photos 2 app? So, for example, will it add the facial areas already recognized by other programs to its own face database during recognition passes in the future and identify possible new matches?
  4. Does the Photos 2 App also allow to store the information gathered through it (face regions and face tags) into the metadata of each file?

Try reading the documentation or searching the forum to learn more.

Thank your for your quick response. Unfortunately I was not able to find Documentation of Photos 2 app. It seems the documentation as well as the forum are mainly dealing with former version of Photos App.

May I ask you to share some links if available to you? I would appreciate being able to read the documentation of Photos 2 App and especially what is written on the recognize features.

hi!
I’m not sure if the docs will answer your questions, but these are the relevant links: