How do you mount NC in Windows?

What method do you use to mount NC in Windows?

I’ve heard that the WebDAV function in Windows has always been unstable and has not been improved. How do you connect the NC when you mount and use it in Windows?
Many of my users are not familiar with PCs, so I have to rely on WebDAV by Windows. Because when users save documents in the office, they want to use Windows Explorer for the saving procedure.
For example, let’s say I introduce a WebDAV client application, and the user saves the data once in a different location, and then uses that client application to move the data to a suitable location. They are not good at this.
I’m trying to find a better way.
Best regards.

1 Like

Hi @zoo3

Why not just use the Nextcloud Desktop Client?

https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-desktop-client-3-2-with-status-feature-and-virtual-files-available-now/

You could also use a third party tool like: https://mountainduck.io/. But this costs money.

1 Like

The Nextcloud app is a sync type with specific folders like Dropbox, but we don’t want our data to be completely in NC (cloud) only and not locally.

If you want to open and edit files that are on your Nextcloud with apps on your PC that do not natively support WebDAV, you will have to use some sort of client that stores the files locally before they can be opened with the corresponding app. And with the newest version of the Nextcloud Client you get VirtualDrive, so only the files you actually double-click, are getting downloaded to the PC.

If you don’t like how the Nextcloud client handles this and how it integrates with the Windows Explorer and the native WebDAV client in Windows also doesn’t work well enough for you, there’s no other way but to use a 3rd party client. MountainDuck is one of the more popular ones for this purpose. But in principle all these clients work in a similar way. And this applies more or less to all of the “cloud storage” providers and their corresponding clients. It doesn’t matter if you use Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, SharePoint etc. If you don’t like that and want to have classic drive letters and network shares, it’s probably best to use a SAMBA server. But then of course you lose all the advantages that a solution like Nextcloud offers.

And honestly… What’s the big deal having a folder instead of a drive letter? You can add this folder as a favorite to the top left side of the Windows Explorer. Users then have to click on this folder icon instead of clicking on a drive icon. That should be doable, shouldn’t it? :wink:

@zoo3
WebDAV
WebDAV under Windows 10 is not really bad. You can use it if you want to use it.
If you mostly read and not write it is a good software.

Nextcloud Client
If you do not want to sync you can use the option virtual files @bb77 wrote above.

Please use WebDAV and/or Nextcloud Client and not a third party software.
Please test this two ways and not a third way because of hearsay.

I think also the webinterface is very cool.
I use e.g. short links (bookmarks) to shared directorys.
Than it is only one click to the correct (upload, download, …) folder.

2 Likes

I have now installed and tested the NC Windows client for the first time in a while. And this is the first time I knew about “virtual drives”. I wonder if this is a feature similar to Dropbox’s Smart Sync feature.

For now, my impression is that it’s good not to put the complete data on the local volume because it doesn’t overwhelm the capacity of the media, but there are quite a few “un-synced errors”, which worries me.
When I open my NC settings, it says “XXX could not be downloaded” with a red background color. And frequently, Windows notifications will show errors. I don’t know how many files are actually causing the error.