How do I download multiple items at once?

I’m running Nextcloud v28 in TrueNAS jail, installed via script (danb35-scripted install

Previously I was running the official plugin and was at version 25, so I have not tested any of the in between versions.

As far as I can remember, I never had any trouble selecting multiple items in a folder (web ui) and downloading them. They always ended up in a zip file even if it was only two items, but it worked.

Now I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s wrong… I mark a couple of items, small jpg or text files, and I click the Download button. Web browser flashes the download indicator but no file is downloaded. When I click to view downloads in the webbrowser, it sais “Website was not available”.

Is there some setting I need to activate to make it work??

Check your logfiles. Could be that the PHP modules zip and/or zlib are not installed?
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/php_configuration.html

A couple of things to add…

First of all, as far as I can see both Zip and Zlib is installed…
find . -name zip and zlib gives me the following:

./root/root/go/pkg/mod/github.com/klauspost/compress@v1.17.0/zip
./root/root/go/pkg/mod/golang.org/x/mod@v0.11.0/zip
./root/usr/src/contrib/file/magic/Magdir/zip
./root/usr/local/include/php/ext/zip
./root/usr/local/go120/src/cmd/vendor/golang.org/x/mod/zip
./root/usr/local/go120/src/archive/zip

./root/root/go/pkg/mod/github.com/klauspost/compress@v1.17.0/zlib
./root/usr/src/sys/modules/zlib
./root/usr/src/sys/dev/zlib
./root/usr/src/sys/contrib/zlib
./root/usr/local/include/boost/beast/zlib
./root/usr/local/include/php/ext/zlib
./root/usr/local/go120/src/compress/zlib

And when testing with a different user, as well as the admin account. I get a slightly different result in that clicking the Download button opens up a Windows Explorer page, where the file name is “download.htm”.
Clicking save gives me the same error as before “website not available”…

I have now tested making a fresh install of version 26 to try things out, and it works perfectly fine!
Selecting two or more of the included photos and clicking download, I get a Windows explorer dialoge with Photos.zip in the filename and they download just fine. And I can open the zip and view the photos on my PC.
I upgraded from version 26 to 27 (1.6) and it also worked perfectly fine.

Finally I ran the webbased upgrade, which takes me to 28.0.2, and now downloading of multiple files is broken!

Starting to look like a bug to me?

The detailed log from the upgrade gives me zero errors and nothing that gives a hint as to what may have changed and broke this function.

Clearly there is a difference in the UI, in that download used to be found under the three dots, but is now a big button instead…

Am I the only one having this problem?

Read here for needed packages. You need the package php-zip with e.g. /usr/lib/php/20220829/zip.so (belongs to php version).

Do not use a script e.g. danb35/freenas-iocage-nextcloud. Use a normal installation guide that you can understand all parts of installation.

Nextcloud on Debian 12
Nextcloud on Ubuntu 22.04. LTS

line 239: “php82-zip”,

freenas-iocage-nextcloud/nextcloud-jail.sh at master · danb35/freenas-iocage-nextcloud · GitHub

Maybe another error.

Well, zip and zlib wouldn’t be removed when I do an upgrade from NC UI would they??
As I wrote, I have it all working fine starting out with v26 or v27. It’s only after upgrading (from withing NC UI) to v28 that this problem occurs.

Reading more about this I have found a few references to the exact same problem for some with Docker installations, both official and community version apparently. https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/42470

The “solution” is pointing to something required for “legacy support” in the Nginx config. It is strange that this has been required since 2 years but this issue pops up only with 28.0.1, 2?

For now, the workaround suggested by Kunago seems to work for me…