How do I completely start over?

Good morning all,
I had tried installing Nextcloud on my Fedora server a few years ago. I could never get it to work properly, so I did a dnf remove nextcloud and sort of gave up on it. I want to give it another go, but it appears there may be remnants of the old install, including conf files and database in Mariadb. I’ve cleared out as much as I can, but when I go ahead and reinstall (dnf install nextcloud), I can’t seem to get to the welcome screen. After the last dnf install, i got the following:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I found a walkthrough to manually install for Fedora 34 (probably not much different) by downloading the zip, creating the db, etc, and followed that.

With that method, I got the following:

The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details

• Remote Address: 192.168.1.127
  • Request ID: YiZDdr_deye_D9XUVf1DuwAAAEo
  1. Is there a list of everything that needs to be removed to start fresh (location, commands, etc)
  2. Is there a better walkthrough for Fedora 35?
  3. Am I close with the non-dnf method? What do I need to do to get past this?

I think if you realy have trouble installing and leck of basic linux skills I would think about a managed nc instance. You can buy them key ready running for you.

No, I have more than basic linux skills, but I was looking for something a bit more helpful.

For instance, the guide I posted only seems to put the installation into /var/www/html, whereas when I use the dnf install version, it will distribute more throughout the server (/etc/nextcloud). My opinion would be that the dnf install would better integrate into the OS, i.e., dnf updates, etc., however, I’m appear to be closer with the link I provided. For that reason, I was asking for a better Fedora installation guide.

Try searching your errors against the forum and duckduckgo. Might find examples there, on github or in admin documentation.

1 Like

A better idea is to use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (or wait for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS) or Debian Bullseye. If you need an installation guide please post again with naming your final operation system and version.

Please read Nextcloud requirements.

Seems to be a problem with user rights. Has your webserver user (nextcloud user) the correct rights for the folders and files. On Ubuntu and Debian is the user www-data.

Find the webserver user:
ps aux | egrep '(apache|httpd)'

1 Like

Hi Devnull,
Moving my server to Debian really isn’t an option at this point. I’ve been running the server for years as a Home NAS/DHCP server, so switching to a different distribution at this point would be a lot of effort for one feature.

I did figure it out yesterday. What I was looking for was other places that Nextcloud may have inserted itself during installation. The answer I was looking for was only the folder it was extracted to and the the SQL instance. It seemed like it may have been more given the issues I was having, but it really wasn’t.

You are right, part of it was a permissions issue, part of it was the installation guide I was using had a typo in one of the commands. Even after that, the it turns out it really was the wrong installation guide, as the way it was installing it was downloading it from Nextcloud and not through the Fedora repos. I couldn’t get past Security and Setup warnings in the Overview section ranging mainly from PHP to a few other odds and ends. I eventually found another installation guide specific to the Fedora repos, that installed it correctly for Fedora.

Now I only have a few of those warnings left, but nothing red.

Please link the guide so others can find it. Thanks

The guide I initially started with was fairly well written, however, there was a problem with one of the commands for Mariadb. Initally, they refer to the database as nextcloud, but then a subsequent command they use nextcloud_db. I was changing user names and passwords, but assuming the commands were correct otherwise. It wasn’t consistent, at least. The other issue, as I mentioned, is that the author is using wget and unzip to get distro directly from Nextcloud. At least on Fedora 35, there were a number of warnings I couldn’t get rid of. When I went to run an update, it kept getting stuck in various stages. It became readily apparent that the distro was not meant for Fedora without a lot of work, which is why I switched to the dnf install method.

This is the guide from the Fedora Project site that I used to install Nextcloud on my Fedora Server.

I also found this one went into a bit more detail, but basically the same process.

The dnf method seemed to work better with how Fedora implements Apache and PHP. I couldn’t get rid of the PHP errors/warnings with the wget method. With the DNF method, there were fewer errors, and the second write up pretty much removed any PHP warnings.