How do i add an external HDD to my Nextcloud setup?

Hello :grin:

I wanted to make an Nextcloud server with my RasPi 3 and a 1 TB external HDD. I was able to sucessfully install Nextcloud onto my Raspberry, but was’nt able to add my HDD, even after a ton of research and 10 new OS installations.
It is really frustrating, can someone make/redirect me to a tutorial how I properly mount and add my HDD to my Nextcloud setup? Before, I was only able to get errors an sometimes the Pi did’nt even wanted to reboot at all.

Thanks

1 Like

Have you tried to add the APP external storages?

Once you have added the APP you’ll be able to add several kinds of storages. One of them is a direct folder.

It requires to modify the content the rights to your web daemon’s user account to have rights there.

Thanks,

It requires to modify the content the rights to your web daemon’s user account to have rights there.

Essentially, it’s the same as for the data directory of Nextcloud.
Let’s say your directory on the external HDD is /mnt/external/nc_data and the webserver user is ‘www-data’, you’ll need something like sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/mnt/external/nc_data.
After that, you’ll be able to add this directory as external local storage.

2 Likes

This might help?

thanks, need little more guidance.
what happens to data inside newly mounted data location.? does it become admin data??

i mean, i am using next cloud on my home server. i have a project 2TB data on external drive. I am about to mount this NC server and add as you suggested. content in it will get visible to NC admin user?? right.
another approach would be to empty drive / mount and add to NC then manually copy data again via desktop client.