How can I set NextCloud (host&client) to use external hard drives for synching?

I’ve finally realized that whole-drive mirroring via a cloud server is a bad idea if you work with large files - which I do, as a landscape photographer and high-definition music fan. I’m making two backup copies of my data drive locally, and will use cloud mirroring for text-based work files like word processing, bookkeeping, and PDFs - but not photos and music. Those I’ll copy to my local backup drive, and periodically swap that drive with my off-site drive, which I’ll bring up to date when it comes home.

I am struggling with the same issue, can’t set nextclod directory to work with an external usb HDD mounted on my raspberry pi 3. I keep getting “Please change the permissions to 0770 so that the directory cannot be listed by other users.” On attempting setting up the storage directory on the initial login page. The HDD is a Toshiba 2t formated NTFS. No matters what options I’m adding to fstab, ‘othr’ always ends up with rwx permission to my mount point directory.

Any suggestions on how can I make this work?
Many thanks
Avi

Hi @avi, is NTFS mandatory?

I’ve only limited experience making NTFS work properly in Linux environments and tend to recommend if it’s going to be permanently attached you make the leap to a Linux-friendly format.

Yup, gave up the straggle and formatted my 2T to a Linux type ext4, winch of course worked like charm…

Thanks a lot