How can I get SSH access to my rpi3 Nextcloud Box?

Iā€™ve got a Nextcloud installation running on a Nextcloud Box containing a Raspberry Pi 3.

I installed it using this image: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/images/ubuntu-core-16-armhf-rpi3-installer-20170329.img.

I used a browser to set up an admin account and create a user. However, I donā€™t know how to get SSH access.

I have a Ubuntu One account and think I understand I need to somehow make a connection between my Nextcloud Box and that account. However, I donā€™t currently have a clue how to proceed. Is there documentation on how to proceed in this scenario?

When using a pi2, SSH access was easy. To connect for the first time I could enter ubuntu as both default user name and default password. If I try this on a pi3-based system, I get access denied.

Iā€™m hoping that I can use the installation I have already, rather than have to scrap that and start again, installing Ubuntu Core 16 first and then installing Nextcloud on that, which I think will be a significantly more complex process than what Iā€™ve done so far: use a pre-built image including Ubuntu Core 16 and Nextcloud.

Agree, Pi2 procedure was quite simple and Pi3 is a headacheā€¦what make the dev team believe this is ā€œout of the box experienceā€??

Not really, itā€™ll take a little longer to setup but it isnā€™t complex vs setting up a traditional server.
That said, if you were to build from scratch Iā€™d suggest the older method with a full ubuntu/debian server as you get far more control.

SSH in the newest is a pain as it require(s/d) registering a key with Ubuntu as far as I recall. They were working on that.

may be someone can make a simple step by step video??

Helloā€¦

Did we get anywhere with thisā€¦?

I have just installed my Nextcloud box using a pi2 but stuck a pi3 in and reinstalled using the official imageā€¦ Nextcloud is up and working but of course I want to secure itā€¦ I too have tried withour success to SSH into the wretched box using login/password ubuntu/ubuntu but get access deniedā€¦

Does anyone have a fix for this.

Del

Did you follow the manual: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki/How-to-connect-to-the-Nextcloud-Box-with-SSH ?

Since RPi3 ready image the procedure changed as stated above. In case provide some more information which way you went and which step you failed.

I moved to the ownyourbits versionā€¦simple and works

Same hereā€¦ So easyā€¦ I found the whole SSH thing with the ā€˜officialā€™ release a real painā€¦Sorry DEVSā€¦

The only hurdle I need to get over is outside access, other than that highly recommnededā€¦

Del

Hi,
same with me.
I made the transition from Pi2 to Pi3 some month ago successfully, but with no access to my system with SSH.
Since it was running nicely I thought it OK. I assumed there is a fault on my side not permitting me my system access. Then there came a power failure and my router got a new IP-address.
Now i needed access to the system to add the new IP to the list of trusted domains. NO CHANCE.
So I decided today that i had to rebuild my Nextcloud Box system from scratch.
Thatā€™s what i did.
At the end of the installation (OOBE is the euphemism for this badly documented procedure) it tells me: "default.user@address.de can connect remotely to this device via SSH:
ssh ubuntuaccountuser@192.168.X.XXX."
At the end of the day and after much reading and googling i do not find any hint on how to do this. I have installed and used ā€œSSH Cryptonautā€ but to no avail.
frustrated but optimistic
Thanks for help

Hello,

I have a nextcloud box with a raspberry pi2 and I am trying the ubuntu-core image. I too could not log in.

I am trying the information from the guide posted but I have a question

Where do I find information regarding:

The ā€‹ brandā€‹ of the device. This is provided to you by the entity that created the Core system.
The ā€‹ model ā€‹ of the device. This is also provided to you by the entity that created the Core system.

I donā€™t remember noticing anything like that when I bought it last year.

I tried searching for this but couldnā€™t find anything.

I have the ā€œvamillaā€ (?) nextcloud box from WD and used a ~2 yr old raspberrypi 2 that I have in case that helps with the supposed values for brand and model.

the guide seems to be a bitā€¦ quirky at times. some ppl got stuck with it. especially with a rp2 model b (or such).
afaik all of them installed the nextcloudpi-image which is pretty well maintained by @nachoparker and some more guys.
https://ownyourbits.com/2017/02/13/nextcloud-ready-raspberry-pi-image/
so i suggest: give it a try and iā€™m pretty sure that youā€™ll like it

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I ll try it.

If your still having issues I suggest you install Rasbian using NOOBS installer and then apt-get apache, php and modules.

Pop in the setup_nextcloud.php then restart and browse to mypi/setup_nextcloud.php and let it set itself up.

You may need to chown to www-data:www-data and chmod 755 but I expect it will work without it.

Never used the nextcloud image myself but used the standard stretch img with an ā€œsshā€ file on the boot partition loads of times and never had issues

I tried the official NextcloudPi at first, and for me the problem wasnā€™t the Nextcloud stuff (works without problems) but the buggy third-party tools (especially wicd-curses for the wifi configuration). The wifi connection just didnā€™t connect via wicd-curses.
I was able to edit the respective config files for the wifi configuration manually via command line, but I think for user who donā€™t want to configure such things manually, or first of all having to find out what and where to configure it manually, it might be a bit of a burden.

Meanwhile I installed a plain Rasbian (Stretch) now and put everything else (Nextcloud, Solr, Mysql) on Docker for ARM, it works very well, including remote ssh access. First I had it on RPI2, now it runs on RPi3 without problems so far.

well done! though iā€™d like to have @nachoparker looking at your comment from above.

as far as i know thereā€™s a new installing wizard for first timers. havenā€™t tried it yet but could be worth a try.

there are always more ways to come to a working solution than just one or two. so glad that you manage to find your own working way. :slight_smile:

I had already reported the things I found, but unfortunately itā€™s out of the Nextcloud scope. @nachoparker already looked into it / replied.

oh. well ya. if itā€™s an external problemā€¦

good boy. whereas i myself wasnā€™t aware that he was already looking into it. but heā€™s a great guy and so itā€™s not surprising that heā€™s always aware of the probs.

hey @mathiasconradt! I just didnā€™t recognize you in the picture before! xD

I couldnā€™t reproduce your problems. Every time I test a new image I connect through wifi for convenience, so I wonder what happened in your case. In any case, wicd-curses is not ideal, but itā€™s the best option I know for a headless setup.

I started porting Archā€™s wifi-menu , but it is not as featureful. Also wicd it is not available in the web interface. In any case, itā€™s added for convenience, and because it is not in the web interface it is considered a bit more ā€˜advancedā€™, and for basic users I recommend just pluging in the ethernet.

Hi @nachoparker, I have no idea whatā€™s wrong with wicd-curses. I have no problems with the wifi configuration anywhere else. wicd-curses finds the wifi network, but just doesnā€™t connect.

And when I edit the config files (/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces) manually, everything is stable and works fine.

Interesting nobody has reported that before. I guess the way to go would be to check if wicd outputs supplicant logs somewhere.

If somebody else is seeing this, please let me know!