How can i disable "Delete" for users of a Share?

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 11.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): Debian 8.7
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4
PHP version (eg, 5.6): PHP 5.6
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error and can you replicate it?: No and Yes.

The issue you are facing:

I’m looking for a way to share a folder and give users the possibility to see existing files and to upload new files. But they shouldn’t be allowed to delete existing files. Is this possible ?
Thank you!

See https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/admin_manual/configuration_files/files_access_control.html

Thank you! I guess this app is not available for Nextcloud 11 ? I can’t find it in the “Apps” Menu.

Yes, it is present there:

There is even a more simple way how to achieve this.
When you shared an item you can set preferences for this share

1 Like

Thank you. This only works for groups or registrated users of my nextcloud right ? I’m looking for a way to disable “Delete” but enable “Upload” for external people who just recieve the share link.

The problem with file drop is, that the external people can’t view the files in the shared folder anymore.
Basically i want them to see the files, upload new files, but stop them from deleting files.

Edit: Nevermind. I found File Access Control. I was just searching in “Activated”! Thank you all.

Edit2: But saddly File Access Control can’t do what i’m looking for :confused:
“Nextcloud’s File Access Control app enables administrators to create and manage a set of rule groups. Each of the rule groups consists of one or more rules. If all rules of a group hold true, the group matches the request and access is being denied.”

Saddly this doesn’t help me.

And I’m still convinced that this is possible.

I’m pretty sure this combination of link options will do the job.

You can try it yourself, if you don’t believe me :slight_smile: “Allow Upload and EDITING” means users can delete files in the share. If you enable file drop they can’t see anything, and are only enabled to upload. If you enable both, File drop wins.

Yeah, I hit the same thing recently. I suspect that we need to change the current options:

• Allow upload and editing
  • Filedrop (upload only)

to:

• Allow uploading
  • Allow viewing of contents
  • Allow editing of contents

What do you think @jan? Yes, it’s an extra option, but it’s a lot more clearly separated and easily understood than the current setup where different permissions are combined and people can only upload, but not view or see but not edit, or be able to do absolutely anything in a folder.

I mean just look at the conversation above and the confusion as to what the current options actually do. I really don’t see anything like this happening with a simple Allow upload / edit / view combo.

1 Like

It’s already in progress - I’m expecting it for 12 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. My request is regarding enabling users to see and upload files in a Share, but not to delete or move them.

You’re going to need to create a feature request on github. That functionality doesn’t exist; it’s either going to be read-only, or edit. The combination of both you’re looking for is probably best served as part of the file access module for non-authenticated users.

Thanks, will do.

Hello, any news about this ? I have the same issue than johnyb0y. This is the key feature that will move my users to use google docs. Thanks for updates.

In ownCloud you can do this, no need to send people to Google Docs.

Thanks Escubaer. But how ? I tried all what I found, including all the instructions here above, without success.
I have a shared nextcloud server, hosted by a cloud provider (owncube.com) - I do not configure it myself.

You can do this in ownCloud. Not in Nextcloud. You can test on demo.owncloud.org (admin/admin). Share a folder with a user and you have the option to disallow delete but allow anything else. Not sure if you can ask owncube to change your account to ownCloud …

Thanks. I checked, and I saw that was exactly what I was looking for.

And do you know why it is not available as well in nextcloud, as both
systems are so similar ? Is it not planned, or just not implemented yet
?

I switched from owncloud to nextcloud because of licence and opensource
issues, so I wouldn’t like to come back for a feature that may or should
be integrated soon.