How can I change the pathname to Photos and Videos

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 21.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux 4.4.59+ x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.38 (Debian)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.15

The issue you are facing:

Wanting to point my Photos to my Picture library on my Plex Server.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Who said it was an error?

Steps to replicate it:

None. This is a question. It’s pretty simple. I have a Synology 1019+ NAS. I’ve installed various things on it like Plex. In my Plex server I have moved all of my pictures. They reside at /volume1/Media/Pictures. I’ve also configured Plex to upload photos from my phone.

Now I’ve installed Nextcloud and created a user for myself. I don’t want to move nor copy all my pictures into Nextcloud rather I’d like to change where Nextcloud looks at for Photos (and Videos) to point to /volume1/Media/Pictures. Note that I am running Nextcloud in a Docker image so I can’t just reach out to the hosts filesystem. I can create a Docker volume and essentially map /volume1/Media/Pictures but where do I mount it to such that Nextcloud sees all of the Pictures that I have. I’ve researched this and nobody seems to have an answer.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

There is nothing in the log files that relates to my question.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

There is nothing in config.php that relates to my question.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

There is nothing in the log files that relates to my question.

Sorry i can not answer your docker question.

But after solving your docker problem you can use this documentation to use the path (mount point) in nextcloud:
Local — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

Hi Defaria,

Have you tried looking at the External Storage app?? You can mount local, SMB, FTP, etc folders there.

That’s the only solution i can think of since you do no want to move your pictures to nextcloud. I have done this method… I have moved all my Photos to NC and made them visible to Plex. so any changes I do there also changes in Plex

I thought of this but it just seems wrong. I should be able to point Photos and Videos to any place on the file system (provided that Nextcloud can access them, and in Docker, that means mounting the volume as well as setting the perms correctly). Additionally aren’t all of your photos now owned by www-data? That seems wrong too. Finally, your Photos directory doesn’t get replaced in this method only rather you now get an additional folder (e.g. Pictures).

However, I do understand the difficulty here in that the webserver is running as www-data for security reasons thus it is limited in what actions it can perform on files. I could run the webserver as my user but then if other users want their Pictures it’d have to be owned by me. Not sure if there’s a good solution here which is probably why I couldn’t find a good solution.

I have exactly the same problem. It doesn’t make sense you can change the path for the photos!.

Wild idea, would a symbolic solve the problem?

Symlink doesn’t work but the volume mount does. The permissions issue with the webserver running as www-data remains. I’ve actually done this by adding www-data group to my group and setting the perms so that Nextcloud can write to my mounted Pictures but I really only use it for NextCloud photo auto-upload which uploads to a single directory Pictures/Camera. Photos do come in but they are owned by www-data.www-data. I just manually go ssh into my Synology and use sudo to change perms and move these files into Picuture//. Klunky but it works.