Hide users from Activity App

Hi everyone,

the activity app shows the user name and via MouseOver the e-mail adress. Unfortunately we need the activity app for the admins, but the users shall not see other users personal information.

Is there any way to configure this behaviour?

Thanx for reading and thinking about it,

Angelo

hey @angelo_kairos and welcome to our forum :slight_smile:
thanks for your very first participation here.

referring to your question i’d suggest trying to put activity app into admin group. which would - if that’s possible (i haven’t tried myself) - remove it from normal users usage.

i hope that would offer you a path to follow

Hi @JimmyKater,

thank you for your fast reply. Unfortunately there is no option to restrict the activity app in version 2.8.2 in NextCloud 15.0.7. Does anyone know if this option exists in any other version?

awww… my bad then… :frowning: - i should have checked it ealier, you’re right. but now i did.
you still can’t restrict it to groups at nc18.0.4 appversion 2.11.0 :frowning:

but i don’t understand why your users can see activties of other users in their activity stream. do you have activities for shared file downloads activated? what if you’d disable that and enable Activities for shared file downloads, visible to all admins instead?

I assume you mean activating the app “Activities for shared file downloads, visible to all admins” and deactivating the App “Activity”.

If I do this, all activity settings and the activity stream are gone even for users of the group “admin”.

with activity app everyone should be able to just see their very own activities.

so i was wondering why you normal users do apparently see more. and thus i came up with the idea of you perhaps did install another acitivtyapp … activities for shared file downloads

yes or no?

I see. No this app is not installed.
Installed is:

i think it adds a checkbox to activiy-app. try disabling A local shared file or folder was downloaded

I do not see any changes when deactivating “Activities for shared file downloads, visible to all admins”

EDIT:
If I disable “A local shared file or folder was downloaded” The user is able to reactivate this at any time.

yes. IF they find it and unless you set the settings yourself… and disable changing. maybe this one here could be of help for you →

Thank you very much. Unfortunately we are running a hosted NextCloud instance, so we are unable to manipulate any files in the file system.

Hi @JimmyKater,

I just realized that a user A can see the activity of other user B if user B downloads a file that was shared by user A. Not sure if this is intended, but it solves my problem as my users will be unable to upload or share files.

Thank you very much for your patient and fast support.

Stay Healthy,
Angelo

1 Like