Help ! remote access from mobile

Hello,
I have a problem, I hope some of you can help me.
I’m new, first time using NextCloud.

I would need to reach my cloud from mobile, outside the local network, i.e. when I am away from home I would like to access my files.

But I can’t understand how to do it. Can you help me?

Thank you

Hello and welcome to the communityforum of nextcloud.

Well… how have you installed Nextcloud and where?
How experienced are you with computers and especially with Linux?
How much time are you able and willing to invest?

1 Like

HI,
nexcloud is installed on truenas.
With linux little experience, if anyone can provide me with a guide on how to do it.

yes… there’s truenas forum… forum.truenas.com - and I’m pretty sure that there are good threads about how to install and maintain NC to a TN-device.

But with you being a linux rookie I just want to suggest that there might be easier options for you to have a nextcloud running as NC usually isn’t a one-click-to-happiness app. It needs to be setup, maintained, updated, upgraded (by “it” it mean not only NC but all the apps around that you need to keep it running safely). - At least you open your private network to the world so you should know how to handle things.

maybe it would be better for you to buy yourself a managed nextcloudservice somewhere and you wouldn’t have any more maintaining-, upgrading-, security-issues anmd if you would face problems there would be a real support as well.

and please understand me correct: I don’t want to scare you away from here… I love that you’re here.
But right now there’s only little we can do for you, except for giving you a rough insight about what selfhosting means

1 Like

Hi,

• First you need to have a domain name.
  • Second, you need to have an IP address which is accessible from the internet (Outside of your home)
  • If you have a static IP address, then you can create a subdomain in your DNS
  • If you have a dynamic P address, you can use DynDNS for example to automaticaalu update the IP address for the subdomain in the DNS setting

You need to have HTTPS setup on your Nextcloud instance. Look into the section of Hardening your NC instance in the Nextcloud documentation.
I strongly recommend using MultiFactor Authentication (2FA) to login from the internet.

In addition:
The ports 80 and 443 must be forwared from internet to your Nextcloud instance or you may use VPN-software on router and mobile device.
For access through port 443 (https) you will need a SSL certificate, f.ex. Letsencrypt (self-signed also is possible, but not recommended, because it may lead to trouble, because of insecure certificate-status).

thanks for the additional information.
A bit out of the topic here, but what kind of issues do you experience with Let’s Encrypt certificates?

I am running these for years without any issue.

I think the part with the trouble still refers to self-signed ones. Since letsencrypt has given the option of free signed certificates, self-signed certificates are harder to accept (before it was just a warning, now you explicitly have to say, I know it is dangerous, … do it anyway).

I appreciate how helpful all the replies are rather than just telling the OP to RTFM. I’m a noob also but determined to self-host. It is a lot of work, but thanks to helpful community members like yourselves I’m getting through it.

My latest challenge is getting an attribute error when using LetsEncrypt. Still trying to figure that out.

Thanks to all of you and other community members for helping clueless noobs like me.