Help a newbie to make a choice

“…they run it just like you and me, in-house…”
yes, so it is not Conduleezaa Rice overlooking your personal data in Dropbox for example. You can do it by yourself. In-(your)-house

What does this have to do with public clouds?

That they could use Amazon-Cloud or Azure as their public-cloud, but “everybody” is looking for high data security, and choose Nextcloud instead.

But there are no angels in this “business”…

YES! And this is why you should choose wisely a cloud which is in your control :wink:

Because Control is key to security. In both ways.

This is a perfect example of clueless fanboism!

Correct!
Once again, you can’t have control over a public cloud. Any of it.
And that’s why I said there is no difference between them…

All this philosophizing about German government, Condoleezza Rice and other crap - what does it have to do with it?

You want to do it secure - you don’t ask stupid questions “who you can trust”.
You do it yourself, on your hardware, on the network under your control, etc.

Words like “Stupid, clueless or fanboism” proof to me that your are very skilled and wise men, who loves facts more than his own opinion. I can’t compete with this high level arguments and I am sure you are always right. Thanks a lot I have learned a lot, the community needs people like you. Keep it up.

By now Nextcloud brass must be having its evening prayer:
“God, please, help us deal with our “friends”?!
With our “enemies” (aka, competition) we can deal ourselves”…

My new hobbie - starting newbie topics on Nextcloud, Linux, FOSS and other IT forums and then watch the gurus duke it out!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl:

Oh yes! This made my Day!

" In essence the ruling means that US companies can not handle data in compliance with the GDPR…"

"“Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing. I have only begun to learn content and peace of mind since I have resolved at all risks to do this.”

• Thomas Huxley

And?
It’s irrelevant whether they can. They don’t. And they won’t until made to…
Can EU make them abide? Will they? In what time frame…?

Regardless of how those are answered, everybody is looking for high data security, and choose Nextcloud instead will remain a pipe dream…

In today’s Financial Times:

EU has been too slow to tame Big Tech, says bloc’s auditor

“Brussels has failed to tame Big Tech because it has moved too slowly and lacked the legal muscle to restrain the likes of Google and Facebook from crushing their rivals, a new report from the EU’s external auditor has said.
Antitrust probes are often too long and enforcement only occurs after Big Tech companies have wiped out the competition, said the European Court of Auditors in an in-depth report on a decade of the EU’s attempts to rein in Big Tech.”

Your Link is a paid link, and I prefer free and open informations :wink:

But please relax and keep watching it, because even the big guys failed in their predictions once.

"Microsoft was on the wrong side of history when open source exploded at the beginning of the century, and I can say that about me personally,” "
Brad Smith President of Microsoft

And maybe you don’t us “pipe dreams”, we’ve heard it before…:

“…the idea of a wireless personal communicator in every pocket is ‘a pipe dream driven by greed’.”
– Andrew Grove, CEO of Intel, quoted in The New York Times

And about the timing the “when”, it takes 20 and more years for a human to grow, as we own a very complex but very capable structure. And so does Nextcloud or better opensource. So in case you can relax and keep watching it, you’ll understand what I am talking about today, tomorrow.

Peace and out.

Closing this thread since a solution was found, and both of you have made your points in the last two posts. We’ll leave it there. This thread has simply gone off-topic. Thank you.

2 Likes