HEIC Previews and opening files not working

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): Nextcloud Hub 3 (25.0.1)
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.3

The issue you are facing:
HEIC previews not showing in browser and iOS App. I have seen the multiple threads in this forum relating to the matter and cannot get this working with the solutions contained. I have tried both steps 1 and 2 of the page fix in 5 minutes and now only feel I have a load of files on the server wasting a small amount of space. Please can someone direct me. Thank you.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Log in
  2. View HEIC media file

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'secret' => '',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloudxxxxxxxxx/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.1.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://xxxxxxxxxx',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'dbpassword' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'installed' => true,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'default_phone_region' => 'UK',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'mail_domain' => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'app_install_overwrite' => 
  array (
    0 => 'files_external_sia',
    1 => 'backup',
    2 => 'breezedark',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' => 
  array (
    0 => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
    1 => 'xxxxxxxxxx',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

Security & setup warnings
It's important for the security and performance of your instance that everything is configured correctly. To help you with that we are doing some automatic checks. Please see the linked documentation for more information.

There are some errors regarding your setup.
Last background job execution ran 2 days ago. Something seems wrong. Check the background job settings ↗.
You have not set or verified your email server configuration, yet. Please head over to the Basic settings in order to set them. Afterwards, use the "Send email" button below the form to verify your settings.
Please double check the installation guides ↗, and check for any errors or warnings in the log.

Check the security of your Nextcloud over our security scan ↗.

If you download one of these files, can you display it in your web browser?

Im not sure how to do that. When I download It just opens in my default app for that file type? The app gimp displays if fine. Thank you

I mean if you go to file > open in your browser and open the picture, can the browser display it?

You can add support for heic by installing the raw photos preview app from the appstore.

Heic is not a supported format in general across any open source project besides gimp. It is a proprietary Apple format, so your best bet is to auto-transfer the format to an open one, such a .jpeg, as recommended by all the online guides.

1 Like

The more I learn about apple the more I really dislike them.
The camera app preview doesnt seem to work for me.
This would be fine if it was for me. But none technical people using iPhones is where these have come from.

is there a nextcloud app that can auto convert by anychance?

Should this link work? I feel like I am doing the exact steps it shows and it errors when I try to make install. Something about no target.

Sorry not enough time to show terminal output

Can you please be specific, and check your nextcloud.log via top right admin menu and filter for errors. Impossible to assist such a vague statement.

lol sorry I forgot to put the link in. It doesn’t work because this is a requirement:

Requirements

• Probably memory_limit quite high.
  • imagick or gd module. If imagick is available, it will use that for performance.
  • For files with a TIFF preview (at least some DNG files), imagick is required
    *** For HEIC previews, imagick with HEIC support is required**

I was supposed to put this link in:

I have followed these commands but errors out on make install part, something about no target.

Too vague. Please share the actual errors as copy paste, or search them against the forum and internet to learn more. Note many people have asked about imagick and heic before, plus solved it. I’m sure you can as well, but you must complete the requirements for heic support in the camera raw app.

Hi Sorry, im not sure what I was doing wrong. I just went to do the process again to share the errors and its worked now lol

thanks for all your help anyway. That link instructions has worked like a charm.