HDD size and Data Retrieval: Raspberry pi

Hello everyone,

I got my nextcloud up and running yesterday thanks to your help. I am not actually using it at the moment because I am experimenting with and doing my best to get to know the system before I actually start using it. So, I want to my homework first before I full trust this system.

I have two main questions.

One:

Does the drive size actually matter ? I know that some systems will only recognize up to a certain specification i.e. drive size. I want to go with 2-6TB drive. I don’t actually think that this would be a problem, but I just wanted to double check. I might buy a drive from WD, Seagate or Samsung. I am not sure yet.

Two:
Thanks to the other users, I’ve learned that nextcloud i.e. Linux uses BTRFS format. Is there anyway to retrieve my data from the drive in the event that my raspberry pi gets corrupted. Windows doesn’t recognize this format. Would ubuntu or Mint recognize it ? could I just plug it in and download the data from the hard drive ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best

BTRFS is built into the linux kernel, so yes it will be recognized.
I have a rpi4 running with two 6tb seagate ironwolf drives in raid1 configuration running just fine, it should be no problem to extend the BTRFS filesystem by adding more drives later, only thing to watch is that you either use drives with thwir own power supply, or use a powered USB hub to connect them, otherwise the power supplied by the pi will not be enough to power two devices.

ah okay, and would I be able to just download the files using linux ? when I attach it to a windows/mac machine, it says that it can’t be recognized. Okay, so it would be better to buy drives that a power connector and usb connector?

Just use a Linux live boot system and you can read the disks. The size of the disk doesn’t really matter, just keep in mind to have enough disk space for backups (on other disks of course).

ah okay, and would I be able to just download the files using linux ?

yes, as long as you dont enable server side encryption obviously

when I attach it to a windows/mac machine, it says that it can’t be recognized.

There is winbtrfs you can install on windows

Okay, so it would be better to buy drives that a power connector and usb connector?

Yes, definitely if you want to connect more than one drive

Ah okay, thanks, I didn’t know that there was something like that for windows. I will be sure to buy accordingly. Thanks for your help :slight_smile: