Had working instance, restarted AIO, and now some containers won't to start (Apache)

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): AIO v8.1.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): unsure - using AIO
PHP version (eg, 7.4): unsure - using AIO

The issue you are facing:

TL;DR - Nextcloud was working fine then 4 containers got stuck in starting. I reset everything, tried to spin it up again, now some containers won’t even start.

Background:

My ISP decided to change my dynamic IP address and nextcloud stopped working (this is mistake 1, I did not think about the IP address at the start and decided to reset).

My first course of action was to go into the AIO setup, stop containers and restart. But the containers would get stalled at starting (not all of them, about 4 of them including Apache). I tried a few reboots too, they’d keep getting stuck in starting with logs like Waiting for Nextcloud to start...

Here’s where I made my first mistake - I decided to completely reset the instance as outlined here - GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: 📦 The official Nextcloud installation method. Provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.

*Note I did not do step 10 because I didn’t think it was relevant to me, however I do set NEXTCLOUD_MOUNT, more on this later

So I tried setting up again and here’s what I run below. Keep in mind I have an extra --env line in the code since I’m using a RAID 1 hard drive setup as my storage in Nextcloud

sudo docker run \
--init \
--sig-proxy=false \
--name nextcloud-aio-mastercontainer \
--restart always \
--publish 80:80 \
--publish 8080:8080 \
--publish 8443:8443 \
--volume nextcloud_aio_mastercontainer:/mnt/docker-aio-config \
--volume /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro \
--env NEXTCLOUD_MOUNT="/mnt/" \
nextcloud/all-in-one:latest

*Note - per above, I set --env and this is how my initial working setup was started (the one that was working for several months no problem before the stalled containers and IP change). I didn’t do step 10 in the reset (clearing NEXTCLOUD_DATADIR) because I’m not 100% sure I understand what removing it from the PATH means for the reset instructions but if it’s to go and delete /mnt/ I can’t because that’s also where my hard drive is mounted. Also I’m using _MOUNT and not _DATADIR but if that’s a wildcard then that went over my head.

After spinning up AIO again I login and need to put in my domain. It was here that I first noticed by putting in my url it didn’t work and realized the IP address was changed (mistake 1)- if I could do this again I would not have reset everything and just went into Cloudflare to change the IP.

Anyways I update the IP in Cloudflare and the domain setting is happy, onto the containers screen. When I click download and start containers it’d have failed to reach server error a few times but after clicking it a few times you’d through. However now that I’m looking at the containers I get stuck:

I’ll paste my logs below as well.

I’ve tried resetting and restarting a few times now and I’m still stuck.

Mistake 2 - my borg password is wrong - I must have copied it down wrong so I can’t access my backup

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Already had working Nextcloud setup with the setup code I ran above
  2. Reset per - GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: 📦 The official Nextcloud installation method. Provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.
  3. Log into AIO
  4. Add domain
  5. Start containers (keep trying when it says failed to get server)
  6. Some containers are stuck in Stopped and trying to stop and restart leads to the same thing.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[0;92mInitial startup of Nextcloud All-in-One complete!
You should be able to open the Nextcloud AIO Interface now on port 8080 of this server!
E.g. https://internal.ip.of.this.server:8080
⚠️ Important: do always use an ip-address if you access this port and not a domain as HSTS might block access to it later!

If your server has port 80 and 8443 open and you point a domain to your server, you can get a valid certificate automatically by opening the Nextcloud AIO Interface via:
https://your-domain-that-points-to-this-server.tld:8443e[0m
{"level":"info","ts":1712924470.9804866,"msg":"using provided configuration","config_file":"/Caddyfile","config_adapter":""}
[12-Apr-2024 12:21:10] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 152
[12-Apr-2024 12:21:10] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[Fri Apr 12 12:21:11.099248 2024] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 142:tid 132782367210248] AH00489: Apache/2.4.58 (Unix) OpenSSL/3.1.4 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Apr 12 12:21:11.099300 2024] [core:notice] [pid 142:tid 132782367210248] AH00094: Command line: 'httpd -D FOREGROUND'
NOTICE: PHP message: Slim Application Error
Type: Exception
Code: 0
Message: Could not start container nextcloud-aio-nextcloud: Server error: `POST http://localhost/v1.41/containers/nextcloud-aio-nextcloud/start` resulted in a `500 Internal Server Error` response:
{"message":"failed to create task for container: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create fail (truncated...)
File: /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Docker/DockerActionManager.php

Trace: #0 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(66): AIO\Docker\DockerActionManager->StartContainer(Object(AIO\Container\Container))
#1 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(33): AIO\Controller\DockerController->PerformRecursiveContainerStart('nextcloud-aio-n...', true)
#2 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(211): AIO\Controller\DockerController->PerformRecursiveContainerStart('nextcloud-aio-a...', true)
#3 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(191): AIO\Controller\DockerController->startTopContainer(true)
#4 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(38): AIO\Controller\DockerController->StartContainer(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\Response), Array)
#5 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/Route.php(358): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\Response), Array)
#6 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Slim\Routing\Route->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#7 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#8 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/Route.php(315): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#9 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/RouteRunner.php(68): Slim\Routing\Route->run(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#10 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/csrf/src/Guard.php(482): Slim\Routing\RouteRunner->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#11 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(168): Slim\Csrf\Guard->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Slim\Routing\RouteRunner))
#12 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/twig-view/src/TwigMiddleware.php(115): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#13 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Views\TwigMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#14 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Middleware/AuthMiddleware.php(38): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#15 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(269): AIO\Middleware\AuthMiddleware->__invoke(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#16 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Middleware/ErrorMiddleware.php(76): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#17 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Middleware\ErrorMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#18 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#19 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(199): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#20 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(183): Slim\App->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#21 /var/www/docker-aio/php/public/index.php(185): Slim\App->run()
#22 {main}
Tips: To display error details in HTTP response set "displayErrorDetails" to true in the ErrorHandler constructor.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-database because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-redis because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-fulltextsearch because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-imaginary because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-docker-socket-proxy because it was already started.
Message: Could not start container nextcloud-aio-nextcloud: Server error: `POST http://localhost/v1.41/containers/nextcloud-aio-nextcloud/start` resulted in a `500 Internal Server Error` response:
{"message":"failed to create task for container: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create fail (truncated...)

Trace: #0 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(66): AIO\Docker\DockerActionManager->StartContainer(Object(AIO\Container\Container))
#1 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(33): AIO\Controller\DockerController->PerformRecursiveContainerStart('nextcloud-aio-n...', true)
#2 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(211): AIO\Controller\DockerController->PerformRecursiveContainerStart('nextcloud-aio-a...', true)
#3 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Controller/DockerController.php(191): AIO\Controller\DockerController->startTopContainer(true)
#4 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(38): AIO\Controller\DockerController->StartContainer(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\Response), Array)
#5 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/Route.php(358): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\Response), Array)
#6 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Slim\Routing\Route->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#7 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#8 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/Route.php(315): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#9 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/RouteRunner.php(68): Slim\Routing\Route->run(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#10 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/csrf/src/Guard.php(482): Slim\Routing\RouteRunner->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#11 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(168): Slim\Csrf\Guard->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Slim\Routing\RouteRunner))
#12 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/twig-view/src/TwigMiddleware.php(115): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#13 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Views\TwigMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#14 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Middleware/AuthMiddleware.php(38): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#15 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(269): AIO\Middleware\AuthMiddleware->__invoke(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#16 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Middleware/ErrorMiddleware.php(76): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#17 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Middleware\ErrorMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#18 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#19 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(199): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#20 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(183): Slim\App->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#22 {main}
Tips: To display error details in HTTP response set "displayErrorDetails" to true in the ErrorHandler constructor.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-database because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-redis because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-fulltextsearch because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-imaginary because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-docker-socket-proxy because it was already started.

#22 {main}

#22 {main}

#22 {main}

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

Not sure how to get this

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Not sure how to get this

Not sure how to get this

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

Not sure how to get this

https://www.google.com/search?q=failed%20to%20create%20task%20for%20container%3A%20failed%20to%20create%20shim%20task%3A%20OCI%20runtime%20create%20failed%3A%20runc%20create%20fail

1 Like

Hi @szaimen ,

First let me just say I’ve seen you respond to so many posts with your eagle eyes and from all us noobs thank you so much. Also thanks for being so prompt!

Second, for myself, emphasis on NOOB.

I appreciate you pointing out the error, however looking at the search results I’m still not sure what to do. I don’t think I can edit the docker files since I’m just running AIO? Also I’m not confident even though I could try it.

Some other solutions suggest changing values with docker compose - also a bit foreign for me but I could look into it.

Could you help me narrow down the solution space?

You could try to restsart the server and try to start the containers again.

1 Like

final edit 4:

IT"S WORKING!! thanks so much @szaimen !

Ive tried this about 3 times now :frowning:

edit:
could i try an older version to see if that works? I’m assuming I can reset and I can change this line here?

sudo docker run \
nextcloud/all-in-one:latest

If so where can I find older versions?

edit2:

tried beta and that didn’t work :frowning:

nextcloud/all-in-one:beta

edit3:

ok after trying a restart with the beta they’re now starting… but they are stuck in starting

[0;92mInitial startup of Nextcloud All-in-One complete!
You should be able to open the Nextcloud AIO Interface now on port 8080 of this server!
⚠️ Important: do always use an ip-address if you access this port and not a domain as HSTS might block access to it later!

If your server has port 80 and 8443 open and you point a domain to your server, you can get a valid certificate automatically by opening the Nextcloud AIO Interface via:
{"level":"info","ts":1712957289.8665192,"msg":"using provided configuration","config_file":"/Caddyfile","config_adapter":""}
[Fri Apr 12 21:28:09.874418 2024] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 135:tid 127091348957960] AH00489: Apache/2.4.58 (Unix) OpenSSL/3.1.4 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Apr 12 21:28:09.874460 2024] [core:notice] [pid 135:tid 127091348957960] AH00094: Command line: 'httpd -D FOREGROUND'
[12-Apr-2024 21:28:09] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 145
[12-Apr-2024 21:28:09] NOTICE: ready to handle connections

#22 {main}

#22 {main}

#22 {main}

#22 {main}

#22 {main}
NOTICE: PHP message: 404 Not Found
Type: Slim\Exception\HttpNotFoundException

File: /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Middleware/RoutingMiddleware.php
Line: 76
Trace: #0 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Routing/RouteRunner.php(56): Slim\Middleware\RoutingMiddleware->performRouting(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#1 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/csrf/src/Guard.php(482): Slim\Routing\RouteRunner->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#2 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(168): Slim\Csrf\Guard->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Slim\Routing\RouteRunner))
#3 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/twig-view/src/TwigMiddleware.php(115): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#4 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Views\TwigMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#5 /var/www/docker-aio/php/src/Middleware/AuthMiddleware.php(38): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#6 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(269): AIO\Middleware\AuthMiddleware->__invoke(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#7 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Middleware/ErrorMiddleware.php(76): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#8 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(121): Slim\Middleware\ErrorMiddleware->process(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest), Object(Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous))
#9 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareDispatcher.php(65): Psr\Http\Server\RequestHandlerInterface@anonymous->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#10 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(199): Slim\MiddlewareDispatcher->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#11 /var/www/docker-aio/php/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(183): Slim\App->handle(Object(GuzzleHttp\Psr7\ServerRequest))
#12 /var/www/docker-aio/php/public/index.php(185): Slim\App->run()
#13 {main}
e[0;92mInitial startup of Nextcloud All-in-One complete!

{"level":"info","ts":1712958599.730485,"msg":"using provided configuration","config_file":"/Caddyfile","config_adapter":""}
[Fri Apr 12 21:50:00.147558 2024] [mpm_event:notice] [pid 131:tid 135455190825736] AH00489: Apache/2.4.58 (Unix) OpenSSL/3.1.4 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Apr 12 21:50:00.147595 2024] [core:notice] [pid 131:tid 135455190825736] AH00094: Command line: 'httpd -D FOREGROUND'
[12-Apr-2024 21:50:00] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 140
[12-Apr-2024 21:50:00] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
Deleting duplicate sessions
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-nextcloud because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-notify-push because it was already started.
NOTICE: PHP message: Not starting nextcloud-aio-apache because it was already started.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.