[groupfolders] Urgent help needed please. FOLDER GONE!

I installed a virtual nextcloud instance on a windows 10 pro pc about a month ago. I am still learning, and my client has since extensively used the solution

They called me now, indicating that the folder, with all their work, has dissapeared.

I am willing to pay for assistance please guys. Willie on +27 82 043 0170

1 Like

I think at least two scenarios exist how you can solve the problem on your own:

• check the trash bin of the client(s) who are allowed to delete files in the folder for the missing data.
  • use your regular data backup and restore the data.
1 Like

I have my group folders set up so that I am the only one who can delete any files and it has to be tagged first

Here are 2 tips for posting here.

1. Things like Urgent or Emergency don’t work
  2. You don’t need to offer payment for help, people will help you, if not just keep adding information.
    @JimmyKater what are the rules about saying that you will pay for help?
    I think Nextcloud has a support package??? But This is a FREE site.
1 Like

hey @Nerdzone…

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your first contribution here on the project.

I just moved your thread to the - what I think - fitting subcategory since you asked for paid help and this is the right place to do so.

But as @sturz_nate already put out before: urgent and forum? Doesn’t go very well together.
as this is the forum for homeusers and most of the forumists are here for fun or information or whatever… they are volounteers… and are not getting paid for their support. So you might get the hints you’d need here… but usually it’ll take some time.

and whatever you’re asking for… it’s mandatory to provide more infos about your setup. NC-VM (even this is not fully clear) on a WIN pro 10-machine? that’s not enough.

Though try to follow the hints that @j-ed gave out… i think they are worth it

good luck
jimmy

1 Like

Thank you all for the recommendations and replies, appreciated.

Been fighting with this for around 13 hours now, and no joy yet. I made the mistake of not setting up backups yet, and there is also nothing in the deleted folder. Can also not find any recycle bin on client pc’s with the lost folder.

I did however manage to run ls-a on the www/nextcloud/data folder (if i remember the path correctly now) and the results show 44 folders and lots of files.

It just does not show on the web access dashboards or the windows desktop apps? I did condirm access rights and all the rest as well.

It is as if the correct locations to the data has been lost somehow…?

1 Like

Can you access your physical server?

Have you tried this?

If this is true, are you sure the person was able to delete their folder? Here is the groupfolders repo, with basic documentation on how it works. This includes commands for accessing groupfolders. Use them carefully.

1 Like

I did however manage to run ls-a on the www/nextcloud/data folder (if i remember the path correctly now) and the results show 44 folders and lots of files.

It just does not show on the web access dashboards or the windows desktop apps? I did condirm access rights and all the rest as well.

In the data directory you usually find the user specific or groupfolder directories, which contain all files, including the once moved to the trash bin.

Due to the fact that Nextcloud doesn’t directly read file data from the file system, but uses a database in which the file structure and data is stored, it might be possible that files are not shown in the GUI, although they exist on the system. In this case you can manually force an occ files:scan ... command to update it.

1 Like

Yes i can. And the web inteface works. and the desktop clients work. the folders are just not there any more. Seems there was an update on NC, not sure if maybe the default “data stores” could have changed? Cause if i do a list via console, the folder count and file count seems correct

1 Like

I’ve applied dozens of Nextcloud updates on my server until now and Nextcloud has never changed the data directory on its own nor did I loose any data by an update. In most cases the root cause of a problem sits in front of a keyboard?

1 Like

I tried the occ commands, but get an error indicating occ not found

am merely asking, and learning in the process @j-ed. And the keyboard occupied reasons I double checked. the 5 users all have files and folders in there recycle bin, but noting NC related. And it seems to still be available to the NC if I run the list commands i found online. But just not displaying?

1 Like

Make sure that you change to the Nextcloud document root directory first, before trying to execute the occ command or use the full path to the occ command. Make also sure that the occ binary is executable or use php to call it.

1 Like

Yes Bud. Works 100%. Everything works. I have no idea what caused this. I can create a new folder and it shows up everywhere

One thing i noticed now, the grouo folder ootion in the settings menu is no longer there?

I checked all of the recycle bins. Nothing.

Where do I change the rights so only admins can delete please? Been looking for that…

Lastly, would NextBackup suffice please?

Try, occ files:scan --all? If you get OCC working again

This sounds like the groupfolders app is disabled. Have you checked that it is still enabled?

1 Like

Yes that is a good idea!

Have you had a good look at the activity app. I know it may be obvious but it has helped me out as @szaimen said regarding Group Folder enabled/disabled.

Track file activity

The Nextcloud Activity app gives users a clear view on what is happening with their files.

It provides users with an overview of recent changes like:

New or deleted files in shared folders
File modifications

1 Like