Great stuff but Inaccurate manual, sync issues and weird UX spolis the impression

I gave it a shot again and I have to admit, there has been a great work done since last couple of years. But it is not there yet.

I tried installing nc on my debian 12 home server, the easiest possible way through snap package. The setup took several commands and I loved the certificate setup through letsencrypt and overall straightforward process. But this is pretty much where fun ends. Out of default options I could not move data out of /var/snap/nextcloud with apparmor errors and though several attempts I ended up mounting /var/snap/nextcloud on a separate volume. Github manual just does not work…

Android apps are not working as expected. I set photo upload on and there was a number of popups on power usage and neverending sync conflict notifications. Notes app just pops out with white screen with no characters visible unless you tap on them and rich text editing does not work out of the box. Shame though notes editor on the web is great, I loved the md file format.

UI feels unpolished, something does not add well up with huge area of the screen wasted for good afternoon message and minimal weather applet…

Contact and calendar sync are paid feature so I dropped those.

Overall, this product has great private hosting idea and huge potential for small business or family. There is a need to polish it and make it available through major hosting providers.

Keep.up the good work!

Where did you get that idea out of curiosity?

EDIT: Nevermind. You’re probably referring to the DAVx^5 Play Store link. I forgot about that.

But this is pretty much where fun ends. Out of default options I could not move data out of /var/snap/nextcloud with apparmor errors and though several attempts I ended up mounting /var/snap/nextcloud on a separate volume. Github manual just does not work…

This is Snap specific so someone involved in the Snap will have to look at this. I recall someone else running in a challenge moving the data directory in the Snap as well recently per the Snap Wiki, but I also recall it getting worked out here on the forum. I believe the removable media step being required beforehand was overlooked/not clear. Might be a doc improvement opportunity.

Android apps are not working as expected. I set photo upload on and there was a number of popups on power usage and never ending sync conflict notifications.

On first upload to a new clear auto-upload destination folder on your server? (For the record though: there are some significant adjustments in test releases right now to work out some longstanding auto-upload conflict and notification issues).

Notes app just pops out with white screen with no characters visible unless you tap on them and rich text editing does not work out of the box. Shame though notes editor on the web is great, I loved the md file format.

Never seen this problem. I use Notes daily constantly on Android. Any chance you can provide a screenshot?

It looks like an issue setting up account with white background and white font. Although you can get through it if you guess the locTion of button :slight_smile:

I could not reproduce rich text editng switch error on Android unfirtunately…

SAMASUNG Galaxy S21FE is the phone I used

Thanks!

Eduardas