German Hosting Provider with good Update strategy

Hello,

Currently i have Hetzner Nextcloud, but the Instance is not really fast and not on latest patch set.

Yesterday I tried IONOS, but instance is much order 26.x Release

Iā€˜m looking for a german Hosting with following features:

• Good Update policy, provides latest version After release

• good Performance

• collabora Office

Thanks in advance

I can fully recommend JABA Hosting. But it is a fully managed Nextcloud. They have pretty good and fast support. More expensive than Hetzner in terms of price. But you get what you pay for :slight_smile:

I have tested with a Hetzner Nextcloud https://nx*****.your-storageshare.de/status.php and i get Nextcloud 27.1.5.1. Do you also use Hetzner Storage Share? Can you use your domain with the /status.php and post the version?

Nextcloud 26, 27 and 28 is ok:
Maintenance and Release Schedule Ā· nextcloud/server Wiki Ā· GitHub

I donā€™t think everyone will be using Windows 11 yet. :wink: But Windows 11 is the newest version with the best Windows features and maybe the most bugs. :wink:

Hi,

thank you for your answer. I also have 27.1.5.1 which is Hetzner Storage Share.

setup.php output:

{ā€œinstalledā€:true,ā€œmaintenanceā€:false,ā€œneedsDbUpgradeā€:false,ā€œversionā€:ā€œ27.1.5.1ā€,ā€œversionstringā€:ā€œ27.1.5ā€,ā€œeditionā€:ā€œā€,ā€œproductnameā€:ā€œNextcloudā€,ā€œextendedSupportā€:false}

I prefere to be on latest version if possible.

28.0.1 seems to be latest release ā€¦ I it usual that hosting provides needs a little while untile latest release will be deployed? Hetzner has their own release channel which does not contains 28.0.1 - it seems.

I just found in hetzter Doku:

What is the update strategy for Storage Shares?

• We provide and test minor releases in a timely manner.
  • When new major releases are released, we wait until they are made available in the Nextcloud Stable channel. This usually happens when the first minor release is released after the major release.
  • When we plan an upgrade for all instances, we inform all clients accordingly on Hetzner Status. If you are subscribed to the Status Updates for Storage Shares, you will also receive an email.

(https://docs.hetzner.com/konsoleh/storage-share/faq/upgrade/)

One Think:

collabora Online is currently only optional for meā€¦ not the highes priority

Habe selber Nextcloud bei Hetzner.
Hetzner setzt auf SystemstabilitƤt und KompatibilitƤt.
Es dauert immer eine Weile bis ā€œstandardā€ Apps auf die neuste Version nach ziehen. Was nĆ¼tzt die neuste Nextcloud Version, wenn dadurch auf die App Vielfallt verzichtet werden muss.

Z.B. hat die App Memories heute erst auf 28 nach gezogen.

I have Nextcloud from Hetzner myself.
Hetzner relies on system stability and compatibility.
It always takes a while until ā€œstandardā€ apps are upgraded to the latest version. What use is the latest Nextcloud version if it means you have to do without the many apps?

For example, the app Memories only moved up to 28 today.

2 Likes

This is the newest patch from Nextcloud 27 look here and here.

Nextcloud 28 has release date 2023-12-12 see also here. It is normal to have to wait a little and it also takes a while. You can ask your friends which Microsoft 365 version they use on the server side.

1 Like

Hallo Helmut, Danke fĆ¼r die Antwort ā€¦ das ist ein guter Punkt ā€¦ Alternativ Ć¼berlege ich ob ich nicht doch selbst hoste ā€¦ hier ist allerdings die Sicherheit an erster Stelle ā€¦ sprich ich mĆ¼sste dann anfangen ein eigenes VLAN zu bauen usw ā€¦ Portweiterleitung einrichten uswā€¦ da strƤube ich mich doch noch etwas ā€¦

Hello Helmut, thank you for your answer ā€¦ thatā€™s a good point ā€¦ alternatvely Iā€™m thinking about selfhosting ā€¦ but safety first ā€¦ that means I have to prepare a VLAN ā€¦ setup portforwarding etc ā€¦ Iā€™m not ready for this currently :slight_smile:

thank you ā€¦ good point ā€¦ will wait some more days ā€¦ weeks ā€¦ but not months :slight_smile: Probably I will thinking about selfhosting :slight_smile:

I use both Managed Nextcloud and self-hosted. It takes some effort to update the Nextcloud to the new release every 6 months. And there are also interim releases (patch versions). Nextcloud brings out a lot of releases. Too many in my opinion. You can wait a little longer for new features and be happy that Hetzner is taking care of the updates.

2 Likes

Ich habe viele Jahre auf eigener Hardware selber gehostet. FrĆ¼her noch Owncloud. Bin dann aber den Weg vom Start an mit Nextcloud gegangen.
Hardware will aber immer wieder erneuert werden und braucht ā€œvielā€ Energie. Teilweise 2000 bis 3000 kWh/Jahr.
Vor ein paar Jahren bin ich auf vServer umgestiegen. Einen kleinen vServer fĆ¼r Apache Proxy und einen grĆ¶ĆŸeren fĆ¼r Apache mit Nextcloud. Storage hatte ich von Onedrive eingebunden (2-3TB).
Es ist viel Pflege nƶtig (fail2ban, updates, etc.) um das System sicher zu halten.
Jetzt bin ich auf Hetzner NX11 umgestiegen und bin eigentlich ā€œnur nochā€ Benutzer.

Habe heute immer noch vServer am laufen. Diese aber nur zum Experimentieren.

Meine Datensicherungen mache ich immer noch zu Onedrive.

I hosted myself on my own hardware for many years. Previously Owncloud. But then I went with Nextcloud right from the start.
But hardware needs to be renewed again and again and needs ā€œa lotā€ of energy. Sometimes 2000 to 3000 kWh/year.
A few years ago I switched to vServer. A small vServer for Apache Proxy and a larger one for Apache with Nextcloud. I had integrated storage from Onedrive (2-3TB).
A lot of maintenance is necessary (fail2ban, updates, etc.) to keep the system secure.
Now I have switched to Hetzner NX11 and am actually ā€œjustā€ a user.

I still have vServer running today. But these are just for experimentation.

I still make my data backups on Onedrive.

My recommendation:
Never operate Nextcloud without a transparent proxy!

1 Like

Vor allem, wenn Hetzner ein Update macht, dann haben sie das vorher ausgiebig getestet. Man kann sich dann schon darauf verlassen, dass es stabil lƤuft.

Above all, when Hetzner makes an update, they have tested it extensively. You can then rely on it to run stably.

4 Likes

I have a cheap dedicated server with IONOS (Server Power Deals), but regardless wether dedicated or VPS: all IONOS Linux Root servers hosting packages include a license for Plesk Admin Panel. With this, you can install a Plesk Nextcloud plugin to install and maintain Nextcloud in a virtual host inside Plesk.

This works great for me. Itā€™s up to you to choose which version to upgrade to, and when. Iā€™m currently on 27.1 (because I still have some NC Apps which are not yet compatible with 28), but I could as well upgrade to 28.1.

I can recommend this hosting option at IONOS.

Ich bin bei Hetzner. Sehr gute Performance, man kann einen eigenen Namen fuer die Instanz vegeben, Stabil und immer erreichbar. Updates in der Regel eine Version hinterher. Dafuer muss ich mich nicht mit irgendwelchen Bugs rumaergern.

1 Like

Hi,
ich kenne diese Strategie so auch von anderen Providern. Es ist halt wichtig, dass nach einem Update noch alle Apps laufen. Grade diese sind in der Entwicklung, wenn 3. Party, etwas hinterher. Ich setze auf das kostenlose von www.purwin-it.de und bin zufrieden. Alternativ hatte ich gesehen, bieten sie auch managed Nextcloudhosting, dann kannst deine Nextcloud so aktuell halten wie du magst, oder halt nicht, musst dich aber nicht um den Server kĆ¼mmern.

I know the strategy from other hoster too. It is important that the Update runs smooth and all Apps work after that. Devs from 3. Party Apps often needs some time to develop for newer NC Versions. I use the free from www.purwin-it.de and happy so far. Alternativily you can order a managed NC Hosting from them. They managed the Host and you can use what ever NC Version you want. On your own risk.
Just my 2 Cent.