Fresh instalation using web installer cannot connect to mariadb running in docker

I am doing a fresh nextcloud installation using a web installer, the mariadb is running in the docker container.

CONTAINER ID   IMAGE          COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS       PORTS                    NAMES
e7b5d6ac8d8d   mariadb:10.4   "docker-entrypoint.s…"   3 hours ago     Up 2 hours   0.0.0.0:3306->3306/tcp   dockercompose_mariadb_1
0c90a3869409   redis:6.0.9    "docker-entrypoint.s…"   10 months ago   Up 2 hours   0.0.0.0:7001->6379/tcp   redis1

in which I already have created the nextcloud db and nextcloud user.

please help

I’m not a Docker expert, but you didn’t specify a port on your screenshot . I would try localhost:3306

Don’t use localhost or 127.0.0.1 when using Docker. Try the actual interface IP.

Do you mean 172.17.0.1 ?

5: docker0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default 
    link/ether 02:42:10:12:29:cd brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 172.17.0.1

I have tried it but I get this error:

# mysql -u root -h 172.17.0.1 -P 3306  -p
Enter password: 
ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '172.17.0.1' (113 "No route to host")

however just to ensure the nextcloud user in mariadb is set correctly:

MariaDB [nextcloud]> SELECT User, Host FROM mysql.user;

+-------------+-----------+
| User        | Host      |
| nextcloud   | %         |
| root        | %         |
| mariadb.sys | localhost |
| root        | localhost |

I would recommend you familiarize yourself with docker and especially docker networking concepts. Depending what you are trying to achieve using host network driver would be a solution.

In my eyes there is no reason to link “normal” Nextcloud instance to dockerized database, I would suggest either all docker or all local, but you might have reasons to do so.

fair enough but in past this was the setup, and it was working fine. Now that machine that was running docker is broken, i had a back up of db and data and want to spin it again on the new node.

don’t get me wrong: mixing technologies is not bad if you do it for reasons… Each technology decision has its advantages and drawbacks, I’m big fan of docker but I understand some people prefer bare-metal install.

If you were running this setup because you want to - go on. But you should not follow the path just because it was running good for some time - from your post it looks you are not familiar with docker - this an argument against using it.

This outage is chance to review the architecture, backup and restore procedures, documentation of the system and align this topic with your knowledge and requirements - use it.

No, the interface IP of the host.