Fresh from the conference: Nextcloud Desktop client 2.6.0RC1 with new Login Flow, second test version of Virtual Drive

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/fresh-from-the-conference-nextcloud-desktop-client-2.6.0-with-new-login-flow-second-test-version-of-virtual-drive/

We have just made available a release candidate of the Nextcloud Desktop client with a large number of fixes and improvements including a rework of our login flow. The new login flow uses the system browser, which should improve compatibility with many servers, especially those with tight security settings or non-standard authentication mechanisms.

Talking of authentication, the client now fully supports Client-side SSL Certificates for authentication and the new Windows build also supports TLS 1.3! You can grab the new client now.

Second, today weā€™ll make available a new test version of our Virtual Drive build of the client, and weā€™re looking for feedback on the progress weā€™ve made!

As always, a big thank-you goes to our community of contributors. Note that we are still looking for new people to join our team!

Hereā€™s all the news from the Nextcloud Conference:

EDIT: apologies, due to an internal miscommunication, we said that version 2.6.0 final of the desktop client was available, while the first release candidate has been made available and the final is expected soon.

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna grab thoses updates right now :

Let see if 2.6.0 fix the issue with big data sync

Let see if test drive v2 can install without problem on Windows and work with French Accents and subfolders.

If itā€™s true, i will give a huge thanks to @camilesan and the team.

EDIT : The 2.6.0 client isnā€™t uploaded yet, the Virtual Drive V2 yes.

Is there any information about when weā€˜ll be able to test Virtual Drive on Mac OS?

Sorry folks priority on Windows Users.
The problem is that the Virtual Drive client will be quite different between OS X - Linux Vs Windows.
When you install the Windows Client you will have a dependency installed with it. Dokan who is the base for making the Nextcloud folder acting like a Network Drive.
Dokan doesnā€™t exist on Linux/OS X so for the moment the effort made are for the Windows version.
The map for Linux/OS X Virtual Drive Client are far away for the moment.

The 2.6.0 client isnā€™t uploaded yet :grinning:

As many times before you make your announcements about stuff and features before they are ready - no Windows 2.6 client available for download ready yet

1 Like

Hello, I just downloaded the windows client and however I have a problem. I first downloaded the new client ā€œnormalā€ windows and I had no problem reconnecting my account by correctly setting the address of my server. I will test the version with the ā€œVirtual Driveā€ and this version, unable to connect to my server. I have a TLS initialization failed. Do I have to force my server to accept TLS 1.3 for this version to work?

1 Like

Linux does not need something like Dokan(y) and will never get, because it has this functionality built in by default with FUSE. Dokan(y) is actually the (successful) attempt to bring something FUSE-like to Windows. And because of this, Dokan(y) has by default a FUSE-wrapper, which should make the porting thing ā€œpretty easyā€.
Iā€™m pretty sure that the Drive Client is targeting Windows first because of the biggest user base (= most important client OS); and if you got it working on Windows, you will start the porting effort for the needed parts. Maybe they even develope the Drive Client now with keeping FUSE in the mind. So client developement for Linux is always last in priority for most tools because of the small client user base and not because Dokan ā€œis missingā€ here for Linux.

P.S. I have no idea about how it is on Mac OS. Maybe there is something similar like FUSE. Iā€™m really interessted in to get some information about it.

4 Likes

Yeah i know that dokan isnā€™t necessary at all on Linux/OS X.
But i think that the dev of the Virtual Drive on Linux / OS X isnā€™t started yet because the windows client needs more work and have more user base.
On OS X itā€™s sure FUSE will be use, i donā€™t know a better competitor for this.

Yop. Agree. Thatā€™s what I"ve said :slight_smile:
The reason for the missing client on Linux and MacOS is precisely NOT the lack of Dokan, because it is not needed there anyway (at least for Linux). But rather Windows has to be done first properly and developement resources are limited.
Just want to make sure why Mac and Linux people have to wait. And they DO NOT have to wait until Dokan is available on their platform, because this will never happen and is not needed.

For anybody looking for the latest client, check here: https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/daily/

Interestingly enough, the v2.6.0 mentioned in this post is not there.

Here is the 2.6 rc1: https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/prereleases/Windows/nextcloud-2.6.0.5818-rc1-20190907.exe

2 Likes

Hi
I found the 2.6.x. version here:
https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/prereleases/Windows/

But under the daily there it isnā€™tā€”

Just installed 2.6.0.5818. Connecting worked. Three things:

• The installed client takes 200MB of diskspace. That seems quit a lot for a sync client.
  • It complained about ā€˜not enough free spaceā€™ even though there was 260 GB and it only wanted to sync 132 MB (numbers taken from the clients own dialog).
  • When quitting and restarting the client it could not connect anymore. Seems like the same bug present in older cients (save/load client certificate). From the log window:
    [OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished SslHandshakeFailedError: ā€œSSL handshake failedā€ : can be caused by a webserver wanting SSL client certificates
    [OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished QNetworkReply::SslHandshakeFailedError ā€œSSL handshake failedā€ QVariant(Invalid)

great jobs !!! thanks to every one ! :clap:

On my side no problem with the client 2.6.0.rc1 however still the trouble of TLS INITIALIZASION on the client with the virtual drive

1 Like

Yep, the 2.5 with virtual drive barfs on TLS and refused to connect at all, so itā€™s a bit tricky to test anythingā€¦

Gnome Accounts has a very good Nextcloud integration on Linux. ā€œVirtual Driveā€ is already there for anyone who wants to use it.

In a way you are right! The desktop environment Gnome has some integration for Nextcloud where you can easily integrate calender, contacts and files. The thing is that the ā€œvitual driveā€ here is not comparable with FUSE/Dokan. All it does is to let your file manager connect with your server to show/download/upload the files using Webdav. This possibility of webdav always exists and most file manager (on linux and elsewhere) support Webdav. You could do this for years on any desktop environment. The Nextcloud Gnome integration is just a little interface to establish a connection via webdav and bundle other functionalities of Nectcloud besides files.
But Webdav is not a vitual drive and is not very powerful in functionality (no offline files, etc.) and in reliability (not made for heavy file sync and big amount of data).
There are advantages like compatibility because webdav is based on http. And this is why Webdav is easy to provide and to use like in Gnome integration. It is a technology for providing small basic functionality for sending files over the internet/http, but you canā€™t compare it to the thing and the functionality that are planed with the new Nextcloud Vitual Drive.

2 Likes

You are having better luck than I am with Webdav. On my Linux machine Iā€™ve tried several clients and none have worked properly. Nautilus came the closest and actually connected, but failed with an ā€œhttpā€ type error, which I thought was strange because I specified davs in the connections dialog.

Perhaps the command line Webdav works? I donā€™t have any plans to try that.

On Windows, the best client has been WinSCP. It works just as expected and has yet to give me any problems. I use it on my work machine to access my server so I donā€™t have to run the sync client on a company machine.