I seem to experience severe time lags for mailed notifications.
This started with registration: I did not receive the mail carrying the validation link as @LukasReschke might remember who kindly helped me out on that one. It did arrive 26 hours later though.
Same is true for all notifications about replies and comments to post I have participated in. This very morning two notifications about replies made two days ago (38 hours) arrived.
Anyone else experiencing time lags for notifications sent by mail? Please do speak up!
If it is only me, than fine. If not, perhaps something is wrong with configuration or the function involved.
For the record: the mail address used is an old rocketmail.com one - an old free mailing service, which was acquired by Yahoo virtually aeons ago
I just checked the server logs of our mail server:
Jun 22 15:24:01 mx postfix/smtp: ECF0ED41330: to=XXXXX@rocketmail.com, relay=mta6.am0.yahoodns.n
et[188.8.131.52]:25, delay=2.2, delays=0.11/0.04/2/0.13, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (host mta6.am0.yahoodns
.net[184.108.40.206] said: 421 4.7.0 [TS02] Messages from 220.127.116.11 temporarily deferred due to user com
plaints - 18.104.22.168; see https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3326.html (in reply to MAIL FROM command))
I’ll try to get us unlisted at Yahoo. Furthermore, it would help if you can mark all mails as non-spam so we might get an higher rating at them…
Thanks for bothering (yet again)
I wasn’t able to flag the message as “non spam” as it wasn’t flagged as spam in the first place: they went right in the inbox, only 24 hours late.
Alas, I did the next best thing: I added the mail address to my addressbook. hope, this helps a tidbit, too
Just for the record: it didn’t get any better. Mail notifications arrive approx. 24h late …if they arrive at all that is :-/
I’ll check, if I can get in contact with yahoo myself (aka “customer”) - perhaps that helps it… though I doubt it to be honest
I was getting delays just like this, too, whenever I emailed from one of my self hosted email accounts to Yahoo. They used to delay things hugely, and sometimes just not let them through at all. Most of the time I’d never get any kind of error response. A couple of times I did though, and when I did they all seemed to be false positives for spam, which was weird as there was absolutely nothing doesn’t about them. Eventually it turned out to be a combo of a bug in spam assassin+ Yahoo being very suspicious of mail that came from anyone other than the big, will known email providers (which sucks). As Lukas has already mentioned though, you can get some relief by making sure the sender is well configured and that you’re on the relevant whitelists.