First beta of Nextcloud 26

The first beta of Nextcloud 26 is now available on our download server! :rocket:

As always, help with testing is very much welcome!
If you notice anything out of order, please report back on the appropriate github repository! :bowing_woman:

Downloads

Rough changelog

1 Like

Roughl Changlog continued (too long for discourse)

2 Likes

Rough Changlog continued (last part)

1 Like

As a side-note we are currently working on having 32-bit compatibility brought back by 26.0.0 Beta 2, hence end of next week 2nd/3rd February.

Out automated CI tests we recently put in place to test for 32-bit target the application(s) themselves, not the updater mechanism, so any tests of updating an Nextcloud instance to 26 on 32-bit are highly appreciated! :heart:

5 Likes

During the web update I got the message that I should run
occ documentserver:fonts --rebuild
Because the step failed during the update process. When I run that command manually, I got a segmentation fault.
Nextcloud seems to run fine otherwise.

Since Iā€™m strongly interested in having 32-bit supported as long as possible, Iā€™ll test this. Any guide or instructions on specifically how to test? My setup is docker-based; what I can do is having a fresh install of v25 up and running, and then updating it to v26 beta by replacing the image.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe it. PHP 8.2 still not supported?

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/32595

Andy just stated it isnā€™t ready until at least beta2.

32-bit support for Nextcloud github issue.

Iā€™ll gladly test a version that supports PHP8.2, part of Debian/testing.

1 Like

Thank you for your work.

Since Nextcloud 26 will no longer support PHP 7.4, but at the time of Nextcloud release at Debian Bullseye will still be the Stable release with PHP 7.4, the attempt to upgrade should be prevented. Also, for users with Debian 11 Bullseye, the correct upgrade path (wait for Debian 12 Bookworm and then upgrade to Nextcloud 26 or use third-party php software) should be listed expilicitly. Also users with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS should be warned against upgrading. But I assume that this has long been planned. Thank you.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/php (Debian 11 Bullseye, PHP 7.4)
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/php (Debian 12 Bookworm, PHP 8.2)

Ubuntu ā€“ Details of package php in focal (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, PHP 7.4)
Ubuntu ā€“ Details of package php in jammy (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, PHP 8.1)

2 Likes

We were advocating that there is always an official Debian/Ubuntu release that is still supported to provide some upgrade path without going through third-party packages. However, it is good to think about communicating and handling the issue in timeā€¦

Yes, it should be just based on the php version currently used. Ideally, we can link to a documentation page and give then some additional information, e.g. for Debian/Ubuntu users.

2 Likes

@tflidd
Thank you very much. You can see it also at the documentation System requirements for the actual Nextcloud 25.

Debian 11 (Bullseye)
7.4 (deprecated)

From the point of view of the Nextcloud software, this may be true (but php 7.4 still works for me). From Debianā€™s point of view it is not. But maybe it is only the word ā€œdeprecatedā€. Maybe you should just list all supported versions and not differentiate between them.

I think these statements are dangerous and simply wrong for Nextcloud 25. And if it does not, then it is better to actively recommend installing a newer PHP version from a third-party source at this point. For my Debian 11 Bullseye with php 7.4 i do not see the necessity.

In many posts here in the forum I could read that users installed PHP packages from foreign sources.l I think this was not necessary in most cases (home Nextcloud with less claims). With Nextcloud 26 is it also not necessary if the user first dist-upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Debian 12 Bookworm.

2 Likes

Good point. Itā€™s clearer if we write that NC25 is the last version supporting php7.4? But this should be directly handled in the documentation bugtracker GitHub - nextcloud/documentation: šŸ“˜ Nextcloud documentation

2 Likes

Update on this: Andy informed me it will be beta 3 and not beta 2

1 Like