'filesystem_check_changes' documentation feedback

Hello,

I am requesting an update to the online documentation for ‘filesystem_check_changes’.

I see a lot of posts about issues with sync that were resolved by updating ‘filesystem_check_changes’ to 1. it appears that each device user pair is treated as the only ones using the data (same behavior observed on onne drive and google drive) however, when the same user uses more than one device the same data is updated as if the other session did not update, leading to sync issues.

I feel a lot of headaches and issues can be adverted if documentation states “If multiple devices or isers are accessing the same data, update this value to 1”

i should clarify those issues i saw on posts i had myself and i resolved them by upsating the value

hi @even welcome to the forum :handshake:

I don’t get what you are talking about. The parameter ‘filesystem_check_changes’ relates to the server and clearly talks about changes made outside Nextcloud which is definitely not recommended. You should never mangle with Nextcloud server storage without a reason and definitely not on a regular base.

Sorry about the grammar, both posts above were done on my phone. What I have observed is that the statement you made “changes made outside Nextcloud” does not appear to be the full description for this parameter.

Setup: both laptop and desktop have the client setting “always keep on this device”

If Laptop is ON and a new file is added, THEN I turn on my desktop and the desktop client attempts to sync, it will DELETE the new file that was uploaded by my laptop client.

So, the client on my desktop treats the laptop file that was uploaded as “change made outside Nextcloud” which it really wasn’t (but this behavior occurs on OneDrive and google drive, so I am guessing this is “normal” design)

What I am saying is, normal people would not be able to recognize that diferent clients from the SAME user, will be treated as “outside Nextcloud” and adding documentation stating that the option ‘filesystem_check_changes’ to 1 will prevent file deletion if a user (same user) is using multiple devices to sync on the same folder.

Is that a bit more clear? again I apologize for the lack of clarity on my original post

I see a lot of posts about issues with sync that were resolved by updating ‘filesystem_check_changes’ to 1.

Can you point out one of these posts so that I can try to get a better idea of what may be going on here. Thanks!

What I am saying is, normal people would not be able to recognize that diferent clients from the SAME user, will be treated as “outside Nextcloud” and adding documentation stating that the option ‘filesystem_check_changes’ to 1 will prevent file deletion if a user (same user) is using multiple devices to sync on the same folder.

That’s because that’s not what that option does. If it’s fixing this situation for some people, then it’s merely a workaround and the behavior suggests there is a deeper problem or bug afoot (like the filecache not being properly updated across connections or something).