File Versioning Not Working as Expected

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04.2
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 7.4.3 (cli)

The issue you are facing:
I have enabled the Versioning app, but can not locate any previous versions of files. In both the web interface, as well as the iOS apps, I do not have a “Version” header on any screen.

I have looked online through various searches and came across the fact that E2EE disables versioning. It makes since that the encrypted folders would not receive server-side versioning since it is locked form the server’s access.

However, I only have E2EE enabled for one folder only. Shouldn’t the other non-encrypted folders be able to have versions? It seems like a severe limitation. I have specific reasons on why I want this one folder encrypted and accessible on my devices, but encrypted online and at the server.

If there is another way to have a folder encrypted and still have versioning, can someone please point me to where?

BTW - versioning needs to have a better name. Any search I do just returns a bunch of posts about version of next cloud (i.e. my current is 22.0.0) and it is difficult to find any posts about how to fix it when it doesn’t work. (mild rant off) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can someone please confirm E2EE disable versioning for ALL folders in Nextcloud, regardless if they are encrypted or not?