File listing is slow to load

I’m using the latest version of the nextcloud:fpm container. I have done a lot of optimizations to my instance, such as increasing PFM pool workers. While running htop on my server, I notice that when I refresh the page of my Nextcloud instance, there’s a ton of PFM worker processes started that consume about 30% cpu on each of my cores. During this period, which lasts about 30-60 seconds, as I navigate through folders, it takes about 5-10 seconds for the listing of each folder to appear.

Once the background processes disappear, and CPU goes back to idle, browsing through the folders is instantaneous. It remains very efficient until I reload the page again, which starts this process all over again.

I do have caching enabled in my config.php, namely I left the default setting of:

'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\APCu',

My data directory is also a CIFS mount on the host.

To me, this seems like some sort of caching issue, if I had to take a guess. A lot of work is happening when I load the page, I guess related to building the file tree for the web view of my files, but between page reloads this information is rebuilt again.

Can anyone help me identify the issue? Is this normal behavior? Is this a caching problem?