Feature request: After files were moved on server, move files on client computer instead of re-downloading

Hello Nextcloud community,

I love Nextcloud and I’m happy to see that it became even better over time.
However, I have a new feature request. I’m not sure if this is implemented already, but it looks like not:
Recently, we changed our folder structure and therefore renamed and moved some folders. However, it seems that the files were re-downloaded on every client’s computer instead of simply renaming/moving/copying it directly on their file system. With some gigabytes of data and a slow internet connection, this can be pretty annoying.

Would it be possible to implement the functionality that files are renamed/moved/copied directly on the client side rather than deleting and downloading them again after they were renamed/moved/copied on the server or another client’s computer?

Using Client 2.3.2 (build 1) on my Win 7 SP1 (64bit) and other devices (Mac/Linux/iOS/Android)
Using Server 12.0.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (64 bit) (GNU/Linux 2.6.32-042stab125.3 x86_64)

Thanks in advance!
Matthias

EDIT: it’s probably already implemented but might be the same bug that is mentioned here: Renaming and moving often causes uploading and downloading

I have seen in working on single renamed or moved files. I suppose it fails sometimes on larger directories (though it would be more important). It would be interesting to create a case where this error could be reproduced.

ownCloud recently added checksums that allow to compare the checksum between client and server. It could help in such cases to identify already existing files but it hasn’t been backported to Nextcloud yet (https://github.com/nextcloud/server/pull/4520). As far as I know the ownCloud client only uses it to verify uploaded files. Not sure what Nextcloud plans to implement @nickvergessen @rullzer

1 Like