External Storage & WebDav

Hi,

Hoping I can find some solution to the two issues I am having around Nextcloud.

Nextcloud version: 24.0.5
Operating system and version: Debian 11
Apache or nginx version: Nginx
PHP version: 7.4

The issue you are facing:

The external storage app significantly slows down the desktop client sync, it takes over 5 days to be able to sync completely 1.5TB of data. We use this because we have a file server with extended access controls to manage the file permissions.

Also webdav, cannot seem to get WebDav to reconnect after a system restart. I have done a lot of google search, tried a lot of workarounds but no luck with this yet.

Will really appreciate if these issues can be resolved for me

Hello there ,

welcome to the community of Nextcloud.

You started a topic in support category.
Unfortunately you ignored the template and a lot of information to help you is missing.

Please add all necessary information like Nextcloud version, webserver type and version, os version, related log file content.

Without additional information the community members cannot help you.

Regards,
JimmyKater

Hi,

Sorry about that. I have updated my ticket

WebDAV is generally not the fastest connection type out there. I don’t have any experience with large setups, but I have my doubts that you can do much to improve performance here. At least if we assume that performance otherwise is ok when you sync files that don’t reside on the external storage. Maybe you should rethink your design. It would probably perform a lot better if you were mounting the external storage via NFS or SMB to your server and then connect it as a local storage. The best option though, is probably, not to use the External Storage App at all and either add more local storage to your server or mount your storage volume via NFS and move the Nextcloud data folder to it.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually webdav was a lot more faster with the external storage app, but the issue was with the need to reauthorize the user credentials after every restart.
The desktop client on the other hand with the external storage app was terribly slow and unusable.

Hi!
WebDAV native access has a “problem” in Windows (all versions). There is an issue about saving credentials after reboot. I face this problem too.
The solution is a registry/policies modification in the client side.
HERE an explanation of this issue and a possible solution.

We’re still missing a lot of relevant info… e.g. what OS is the WebDAV client, why is it not using the official client, details about the external storage, etc… Many variables that could and probably are affecting performance.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.