External Storage Files wrong time (2 hours in future)

Hi,

i have a external SMB storage connected to my nextcloud and it has been working fine for a year or two, but now it always shows the wrong “last changed” date for files and folders. When i create a new folder in that external storage via nextcloud it says it was last changed “in 2 hours” which doesnt make much sense. Using the date command on both servers gives me the exact same time and timezone and it happens on all clients.

Any help or ideas are appreciated :slight_smile:

Jasper

1 Like

Hi,
same problem for me on a NC 24.0.3.
Anyone with the same issue or a solution?
kr,
Martin

What zimezones are the systems running with? My guess is that one is using UTC. I don’t know SMB in detail but you have the same problem you’ve described with FAT-formatted SD-cards because that file system doesn’t store TZ-infos.

Hi @kimmerin , thank you for your eply.
In both environments this is the same:

~ $ timedatectl 
               Local time: Thu 2022-10-20 11:03:44 CEST
           Universal time: Thu 2022-10-20 09:03:44 UTC
                 RTC time: n/a
                Time zone: Europe/Vienna (CEST, +0200)
System clock synchronized: yes
              NTP service: active
          RTC in local TZ: no

I am not aware of any other timezone related configuration in NC (apart from logtimezone which is also Europe/Vienna).

kr,
Martin

I still think that it’s a timezone-issue. The DST-change is happening soon, so you might simply wait for it to happen to check if dates change to be one hour in the future after that. As mentioned I don’t know very much about SMB but maybe you can check the samba-configuration on both sides if there are any TZ- or “time offset”-settings.

Well, we can unconditionally agree on that :slight_smile: , the question is which tool has the issue.

I could not find anything in the smb.conf documentation.
When accessing the smb files through my file browser (from another device) the time is correct.

I thought that there is a “time offset”, at least it’s described in an O’Reilly book covering Samba. But it might be one that is used in the scope of time servers and might have been removed in the last 23 years (where the first edition of that book was released :wink:

Are both sides unixoid systems? Maybe changing from SMB to NFS? What’s the file system on the remote system that is accessed by SMB?

Hi, sorry for late reply

Yes

The issue is not critical enough, so not considering this for the moment.

ext4

Hi,

I have the same issue in Nextcloud version 25.0.5.
Does anyone know the reason or has a solution?

Kind regards,
Michael