Explanation of what "audit trails" covers

The NextCloud site comparison of itself with competitors includes are reference to “audit trails”, see the graphic below:

I’ve tried to find out what this covers and how it is applied to the system and (if appropriate) to applications, but haven’t found anything. How/where is this used? Can it be applied to an application like an excel spreadsheet? Anything you can tell me or reference would be useful.
thanks in advance,
joe

found it!!! issue resolved.

I think this mainly refers to the Admin Audit Log, which does exactly what is described in the following Wikipedia article…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audit_trail

An audit trail (also called audit log) is a security-relevant chronological record, set of records, and/or destination and source of records that provide documentary evidence of the sequence of activities that have affected at any time a specific operation, procedure, event, or devic

The process that creates an audit trail is typically required to always run in a privileged mode, so it can access and supervise all actions from all users; a normal user should not be allowed to stop/change it.

Thanks for the help, this is useful. I was curious to see how NextClouds use of the term compared to regulatory requirements.

Great, thanks