Experience with IONOS managed Nextcloud

Hi, I have a new “managed Nextcloud” with IONIS. Not a managed server with nextcloud, but a completely managed nextcloud. So no updates etc. just using nextcloud.
Sounds great.

Installation was easy.
I found two issues.
Collabora Office doesn´t work (server and app can be installed, but it just doesn´t work (see Collabora on IONOS managed server)
Only Office doesn´t work ether. The community server cannot be installed.

There is no support for installed apps and with not beeing admin you cannot do anything.
As of 9. July 2021 the run V20.

I am disappointed, but if you only need basic nextcloud features this might be a good alternative.
btw. you pay 6-20€ per month depending on space and speed.
It is a gamble to see if an app is running or not. There is no documentation about anything except the wonderful IONOS products.

Are there any other experiences with IONOS managed Nextcloud?

thank you
Udo

1 Like

Why don’t you get a bottom rung AWS? Then you can run NC with anything you like on it.

I set it up for a sports club. There is nobody with admin skills.
Managing nextcloud is more than enough.
And this is the idea of a managed system.
My issue with the ionos solution is, that you enver know what you gonna get. If they tell you “this app is not running” etc. then you can decide if the solution is for you. But now it´s a surprise package.

The one-size-fits-all approach… Looks like this is the only way for them to make money…

Considering how many issues GitHub lists with NC apps, I’m not surprised they try to avoid them

I happened to try both with IONOS

1- VPS M package (80GB) running nextcloud and a HiDrive cloud storage (250GB) attached as an external storage through webdav (total 330 GB)

2- Managed nextcloud with IONOS (512GB)

The speeds with managed nextcloud are frankly horrible.
No way (that I could find) to run Collabora online.

Open to any suggestions in achieving a fully functional google suite replacement more economically.

Cheers.

1 Like

I tryed that too and my biggest negative point is the update strategy.
No documentations about updating minor releases, the installed version was outdated! → Security hole!
And you never know when they update the major version.
Think about running a community app, if that one is not supported (yet) for the next major release, it’s your problem. IONOS will update at their plans.
Be careful.

But if you have no admin experiance and need only the (great) basically features. I would say welcome IONOS, the storage for that price is quite well.

Cheers

Just to update on what I’ve settled for:

I decided to use the IONOS VPS M package coupled with the HiDrive as external drive attached to it.

The managed nextcloud was truly unbearable.

Cheers,

I have had the same experience. You sometimes wait 10 to 15 seconds for a click to be processed. Since two days, the SaaS the time for a click to be processed expand to 45 seconds! unbelievable
cheers,

Which package from IONOS? Managed Nextcloud?

I absolutely regret going with them.

The biggest pain is not being able to install apps that arn’t already on the list. I also don’t understand why they would stick with older unsupported versions!

Maybe you can test another Nextcloud Hoster for a few euro a month.
And if you like it migrate your Nextcloud data to the new hoster.
Look e.g. Hetzner Storage Share (not tested).

Sorry german:

Individualisierbar

Unsere Storage Share kann an jeden Bedarf angepasst werden und um hilfreiche Funktionen wie die Anpassung des Themes auf Ihre Corporate Identity, Einbindung eigener Authentifizierungssysteme oder vieler anderer im Nextcloud Appstore verfßgbaren Apps ergänzt werden.

The biggest one.
Linux 5.4.0-122-generic x86_64|
storage: 10TB
Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake, IBRS) (8 cores)|
|RAM:|19.52 GB|

I have nextcloud with Ionos. I spoke to them and had some questions:

So I had a chat with them.
I asked them 3 things:

1. when will you update from the unsupported 22.2.8 version?
  2. i have an issue where I get a 404 message repeatedly when trying to open chats.
  3. can you do the steps (oauth?) so I can integrate one drive?

Their reply:

1. we don’t know, probably not for a while. Deal with it. Get VPS and host it yourself.

2. " > it seems to be caused by our caching methods on our managed solution. Again, my advice for this would be to use Nextcloud in a self-managed environment so you get total control over the caching"

3. No. Use our VPS hosting.

So basically i think they are useless and avoid them at all costs.

2 Likes

@k.mudassar
Which package do you use and how much money do you spend? Do you think that individual problems can be addressed for the money?

You probably have requirements that most of the nextcloud users do not have. And if these users have these requirements, they will look for another nextcloud hoster that addresses the issues individually or use a VPS.

I also think they can upgrade to newer Nextcloud versions.
But it is the same at Magentacloud with Nextcloud 22.2.0.2.

Who will accept 404 errors whenever they want to access chat?!?!?!

I don’t think it would cost much to update to a supported version either. They specifically said to me they wont be upgrading soon. This happened yesterday.

Maybe your Nextcloud is not designed for this. Many providers charge more money when using Nextcloud Talk. And rightly so. I would not rely on the answer from support. There is no money for support.

Which package do you use from IONOS?
Do you even pay enough to get even one support request answered in a meaningful way?

If they are not willing to provide me with support/inform me or provide me with the basic functions that nextcloud provides, they should tell me from the beginning.

‘this is managed nextcloud hosting, we do not provide any support’

Simple.

If it is about cost, let me manage it myself. Then tell me that they can’t help me at all ever again because it is all my responsibility.

You keep asking how much I am paying. I am paying exactly what they asked for, but they are not giving me what they said. It isn’t a matter of if they can afford it.

Don’t provide a service if you cannot provide that service for the money you asked for.

2 Likes

Which package do you use? How much money do you pay?

I was using IONOS too, but because of many problem, I switched to CLOUDEEZY.
They’re French (support in French but in English too), sure they’re more expensive than Ionos, but you get a real support, backups, Nextcloud Talk HPB…

Sure, if you’re looking for price only, it’s not the best option. But if you’re looking for a true Enterprise-level managed service, they’re the way to go.