Exit Signal Segmentation Fault

Hello,

I am getting the following error when I try to login to the nextcloud server after fresh installation.

Internal Server Error

The server was unable to complete your request.
If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.
More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details

• Remote Address: ::1
  • Request ID: 8tU6uFOsZtHSgHpBN8Tv

When I checked the /var/log/apache2 file. The below is the log.

[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00094: Command line: ‘/usr/sbin/apache2’
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 87 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 623 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 83 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 84 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 85 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 631 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2
(86): Error Internal error: wrong size calculation: /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/OCS/V2Response.php start=0x00007fed4112b400, end=0x00007fed4112c7a0, real=0x00007fed4112c8b8

[core:notice] [pid 72] AH00051: child pid 632 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2

I have installed nextcloud server on Ubuntu 18.04. Please help to solve this problem.

Regards,
misran

Can happen when you have memory errors (too much memory used), so apache runs out of resources. Could be too many apache modules consuming resources, or you are running too low on memory in general (or some other processes are using too much).

After a fresh installation, you shouldn’t use that much resources, so that’s a bit strange. What kind of setup do you use?

Something I found (if you can get the coredump and some more information, you can search more specifically):

https://www.linode.com/community/questions/17998/how-to-fix-apache-server-child-pid-637-exit-signal-segmentation-fault-11-possibl

Had this annoying issue as well, mostly it happened around mid night. Had to restart apache2 service once the service is down.
I am running Nextcloud on bare metal Linux machine with following specs.

• i5-10500T
  • 16GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512GB NVME

Solution: switched to Nginx server then the issue never came back.

Glad that worked out for you, but Apache was not the root cause of the issue. Whatever you did managed to work around whatever the real issue was. Which is, of course, just fine.

I only note this so that others coming across this don’t blindly go swap web servers without regard for the various things that can cause this situation.

1 Like

You are right, there are bunch of things might triggered the issue with Apache which is beyond my knowledge & skill to debug. Prior to switch over to nginx, I’ve searched & tried various settings both in php & apache, but didn’t help. Out of curiosity, I tried it with nginx and the error never came back.

1 Like