Excel prompts that file has been changed by another user (lost milliseconds)

My client doesnā€™t have enterprise support so Iā€™m stumbling a bit in the dark. Getting a response via enterprise support would be ideal.

Hi.

I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. Seems to be gone with 3.9.2.

Please check on your side.

Regards

Reinhard

Iā€™ve certainly had it this week but not sure if that was before 3.9.2 which I installed this week as well. Iā€™ll do some more tests. Iā€™ve checked the release notes and nothing jumps out as resolving this issue.

https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/releases

I still have this problem on multiple computers. Client 3.10 on Windows 10 with virtual files.

1 Like

Have you heard anything back on this? Itā€™s a real problem not only with Excel but with any application that checks the timestamps for updates. Iā€™ve just lost a load of edits in Notepad++. It also checks the timestamp of the underlying file and offers to re-load the file. I wasnā€™t thinking and hit ā€œyesā€ which meant all the edits lost.

Hi.

The problems with Excel somehow vanished with Client 3.9.x. I am now at 3.9.4.

Recently I saw the issue you described with Notepad++ on another user. Problem is - I canā€™t reproduce reliabley. When I open a text file on my machine and leave it open for hours - nothing happens.

Regards

Rob

Itā€™s 100% repeatable here. I will try on a different computer. However, Iā€™ve discovered that the milliseconds value on the last write time only gets reset when the Nextcloud client next synchronises. Iā€™ve put together a video showing the problem:

1. Using Notepad++ to edit a text file.
  2. The PowerShell script on the right displays the timestamp and milliseconds
  3. When you save the file from Notepad++, the file has a milliseconds component
  4. Click Sync in the client (or I suspect wait a while) and milliseconds resets to zero
  5. Notepad++ spots this timestamp change and prompts to re-load the file

This is the same process thatā€™s happening in Excel.

https://maltsystems-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/rob_nicholson_maltsystems_co_uk/EaN0WlyOIjFFqwMHNB1F958B4Ev9pdBkgjwQAEjNNlnxdA

The local Nextcloud folder is stored on an NTFS drive. The Centos v7 Nextcloud server is an ext4 volume. Iā€™m just going to watch the timestamp on Linux. Does Linux have millisecond level time stamps?

Laterā€¦

Iā€™ve checked the time stamp on Linux and milliseconds is not coming through. Linux can handle milliseconds on this volume as Iā€™ve created a test file called hello-world.txt.

[root@moorfield003 Data drive full]# ls --full-time
total 52
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 nginx nginx 1106 2023-11-01 15:44:02.000000000 +0000 Admin-Groups.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 nginx nginx 4096 2023-10-26 20:35:48.834797104 +0000 Downloaded reports
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nginx nginx 6992 2023-10-26 21:07:46.000000000 +0000 Group folders report.txt
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 root root 13 2023-11-01 15:44:28.403991386 +0000 hello-world.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nginx nginx 24738 2023-10-29 09:49:21.000000000 +0000 Nextcloud usage.xlsx
-rw-rā€“r-- 1 nginx nginx 65 2023-10-27 18:51:53.914661281 +0000 Readme.md

So the flaw here is that it appears that Nextcloud isnā€™t preserving the milliseconds value to the Linux file server and the client is then synchronising a zero value back?

Weā€™re running 3.10.1 - the very latest. Are you using ā€œOn-demandā€ sync or downloading everything? You are running on Windows as well?

LATER - this issue only occurs using virtual files. If you download all your documents then the issue doesnā€™t occur. Pretty much suggests itā€™s a fault in the client?

Iā€™ve raised a bug report on Github:

Hi.

We work with Windows 10 and running client 3.9.4 with VSF.

Since it happens apparently only in group folders there might be also a server component involved in this issue.

We continiue to investigate.

Regards

Rob

Itā€™s not limited to group folders - same problem with your own folders. However, it is limited to Seadrive client. The same problem doesnā€™t occur with Seafile client.

Hi @robnicholsonmalt!

Occurs only with group folders in our environment.

Anyhow - they are working on a fix now.

Here is the according PR. Can you check if this fixes your issue?

Regards

Rob

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the same bug. Similar area. Whilst this is a virtual file, itā€™s been downloaded. The fault IMO is that the milliseconds value isnā€™t getting to the file on the Linux server. It could be the same bug, just described differently.

I have had the same problem for almost a year now. Any update on this?

I reported it via GitHub and was asked to try a beta version in December. This beta did seemed to fix it but I donā€™t know whether itā€™s been released into production yet. Not sure if I can cross reference the GitHub number with release notes?

Laterā€¦ Iā€™m running 3.11.0 in production and the fault still occurs. I believe this is the latest version so I suspect, no, the fix is not in stable release channel yet.

Iā€™ve been working on the clientā€™s Nextcloud system more over the last week and this issue is certainly not fixed.

However, what Iā€™m not clear about is as this is a client issue, does it require everyone who has ever opened (and therefore has downloaded) the Excel file that causes me most problems to update the client?

Good chance they do as I suspect until they have the fixed version, theyā€™ll spot the file has changed, accidentally reset the milliseconds value which leads to the same problem.

@robnicholsonmalt do you know if this has been fixed in a particular version? Im still experiancing the issue. :frowning: